First Fragments 🏺

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fragments 🏺

Found these two fragments at my friend's burn site. There are bits of ground up quartz mixed in. Any clue to their culture or age? I'm excited because it's just more confirmation that there was a village there some time back. 😁
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20221019_084630247.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	659441
    Last edited by Narrow Way Knapper; 10-19-2022, 08:32 AM.
    South Carolina

Hoping you hit the jackpot πŸ‘πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŸ
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately the tractor has spread the topsoil all around and there's no telling where all the pieces are. 😬

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      😒.

I found some pottery this summer. Small pieces like you are showing. I took my pieces to someone (it was 2 men looking at it) and they verified it was pottery. I now have maybe 5 pieces. You’re in a different area of SC but I was told late Archaic or Woodland for my pieces. I was also told it was stamped but I don’t see it, lol. My finds look like plain pottery to me, they definitely saw something I don’t see at all. Without bigger pieces of a design, I don’t know how you determine β€œwho” made it. I did read an article today that Native American pottery was first made in South Carolina in the coastal area and spread throughout the country from there. I’ll see if I can send you the link.
    South Carolina

Comment

Hey.Looked a little closer..it looks like cob marked ..Late woodland period or thereabouts.Corncob was pressed into the clay πŸ‘πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŸ.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
      Fla.Hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats one of the most common types I find around here. Have found other types , But mostly corn cob.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A72A0723-80B7-4F78-8251-57893F4FF075.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	659593
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Great Info Jo and congrats to both of you on the finds. Clemson Island is the oldest known for Pa., so I believe. This is also plant and sand tempered. About 1000 BC. Also they have traced many tribes migrations by their styles here in Pa. A good friend has created a Pottery Repository at the State Museum. Any pottery I find goes to that repository. K
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
      X