?Quartz? or what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?Quartz? or what

We have a lot of this stuff around the mountain. We call it Sheeps head cause it kinda looks wooly. I've seen this brown type and then there's a white/grey type. When you break it open it's a surprize. People were asking permission to pick this stuff up and haul it off. They said they broke it apart and made jewelry with it. Hum? :huh:

This seems to be more crystalized. ---Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Geode? Those are cool!

Comment

Very nice, never seen anything quite like that before.

Comment

Hey Mark - What's a Geode again?  I done forgot.    ---Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

A rock with quartz crystals in it! Bought quite a few for Karly to bust open. Always wanted amethyst color but never got one.

Comment

Mark - Isn't Amethyst kinda pink/purple in color.  I saw one of those in the creek last year but I don't usually collect rocks.  Guess maybe I should start.  Makes the garden real purdy... ---Chuck

Comment

Yup, different shades of purple. They are pretty!

Comment

My guess is that it is a variety of quartz.  Couldn't tell ya' which variety! My Dad bought us geodes as kids and this is not one.  Geodes are rounded, hollow, and the lining of the rock is where the sparkly stuff is!  Pretty, pretty, pretty

Comment

I believe that is probably gypsum in its natural state.

Comment

Well - regardless as to what it is - it's in Momma's garden now, along with all the other chips and flakes.   ---Chuck

Comment

It kinda looks like a fossilized "Cow Patty", but I think it's cool !

Comment

Working...
                      X