Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think this is ?

I came across this about a 1/4 mile up the creek from TN river

We use to call them "Problematical Stones".

Comment

• Shank
      Shank commented
      Editing a comment
      your right, problem for me for sure.

It might just be a cool rock but really I have no idea maybe painshill will know
    Last edited by Hoss; 10-31-2015, 05:03 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I vote for rock. What do you think it is?
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

It looks like a broken and eroded piece of what is known as “limestone pavement” (Google that and click on images").

Tennessee, has a lot of karst landscape composed of limestone and dolomite eroded to sinkholes, flutes, runnels, clints and grikes which generate chunks like that in all kinds of odd shapes.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That is a great explanation Roger. Thank you sir for the information.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
            It looks like a broken and eroded piece of what is known as “limestone pavement” (Google that and click on images").

Tennessee, has a lot of karst landscape composed of limestone and dolomite eroded to sinkholes, flutes, runnels, clints and grikes which generate chunks like that in all kinds of odd shapes.
            Roger, you amaze me continually, not only in your knowledge but your ability to respond so quickly to questions of such great variance. As a former resident of Middle Tennessee where Karst topography/geology is highly prevalent your answer I think is spot on.

Comment

Thank you for the info,input that's more than I knew but still not fully convinced that limestone paver is the answer.It don't match any of the images. It's only about hand size and the front is smooth but of course very porous and concave. thanks for your vast knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Shank View Post
                Thank you for the info,input that's more than I knew but still not fully convinced that limestone paver is the answer.It don't match any of the images. It's only about hand size and the front is smooth but of course very porous and concave. thanks for your vast knowledge.
                I think you've missed the point. Google "eroded limestone" or "limestone karst". Carbonate rocks like limestone (and dolomite) are prone to erosion from acidic groundwater and the run-off from pavement formations. That's what creates the unusual features and weakens the formations such that pieces break off and then erode some more. The size of your piece has no relevance to these processes... such pieces can be absolutely any size because the erosion occurs at less resistant points in the rock. It may follow bedding planes or localised areas with a higher carbonate content. The shapes of these broken and eroded fragments follows no set pattern and any expectation of finding a "match" in Google images is unrealistic.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Shank
                  Shank commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As usual from what I have seen here SIR PAINSHILL you are correct as presumed. I do thank you.

A big THANK YOU to Painshill .I'm going to do some more looking for now not saying I wont crawl back later. location of item find.

Comment

Working...
                X