How unusual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How unusual

Wanted to share this rock I found. I find it unusal that the square randomly formed on this rock. It could be fossil. There are fossil pieces present. I love the red minerals. The last photo is the back. Just to show there is a fossil fragments present.

I could be wrong but with what looks like mineralization in that piece I don't believe that it is a fossil. Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-confused005.gif
Views:	57
Size:	275 Bytes
ID:	184775
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

It's a granitic rock--the shapes are formations of crystal-like configurations. Granitic material starts off as molten magma that is squeezed in between layers of rock and earth as it flows upwards, but not as ejecta from a volcanic eruption. Cooling in place the like chemicals and minerals sort each other out and 'clump' together--its what gives granite its speckled coloring. The shape of crystals forming in the matrix is governed by elemental, chemical and mineral make-up

Comment

Yes, David has it. More precisely, it looks like porphyritic granite or something closely related, which is generally formed by intrusive igneous processes. It won’t have anything fossiliferous in it. The square crystal is a phenocryst of feldspar that’s larger than the other feldspar crystals in the surrounding matix… like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Porphyritic Granite.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	184812
        [Porphyritic granite with feldspar phenocrysts (eastern Sierra Nevada, Rock Creek Canyon, California). Picture by Wilson44691 - Licensed under Public Domain via Commons]
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Painshill--

I wanted to say Feldspar so badly, lol, but did not have anything on-hand to validate my guess with--love the pic you posted! If that didn't say it all, I'm lost

Awesome!! It has more all sizes. I thought they were fossil fragments. I figured the biggest square wasn't a fossil.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a killer specimen--looked almost like petrified mortis and tenon construction at first glance

David I thought the same thing at first. Its actually my first (that I've noticed) like it. Went ahead and ordered some stuff for my Christmas. A 15 lb capacity tumbler. My moter went out. A nice metal detector. Went with Garret. So my son will be able to use it with ease. Also, around 4 different books. Illinois based. Like Roger suggested.
        Last edited by civ5king6577; 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          That rock tumbled and polished will look outstanding--Hope you get a new motor for the tumbler! I've got a copy of Chicago before History, and spent time in Will Co, with Margo Hupe some 12 years ago while she stopped the state's efforts to develop Will Co. into an airport. I saw some amazing artifacts in numerous farm collections while I was there

That's amazing.

Comment

Working...
        X