Round protrusion out of a rock I found in WY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round protrusion out of a rock I found in WY

I found this rock on a mountain outside Guernsey WY. The story behind getting it is kinda cool. I had to fly with our battalion commander (I was with the NE National Guard) in an OH-58 and land on a random mountain outside the training base there to assist the CH-47 unit in training to find a "downed" aircraft.

While we sat and waited for our "rescue" I wandered around and saw quite a few of these round protrusions in the rocks up there. This was the only one I could remove as a souvenir. Despite being 8-9 years ago, I never looked in to what it was. I just thought it was cool at the time.

Any ideas?

Mike

Iron concretion form in a matrix of other material--yours is still lodged in the matrix--very cool specimen

Comment

Yep, definitely a concretion. If you google image concretions there are some real funky looking ones out there.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Nice rock! Hell Gap site is just north of there. I really like the country around there.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

David Stone Sweet got it on the nose, when he referred to it as a specimen.

It looks like a fossil wart.​

Mmerc20 thank you for your service to our country and your inquisitive nature.
          Last edited by Bone2stone; 12-07-2015, 03:57 AM.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

My pleasure bone2stone. I enjoy what I do and have been doing it for 20 years now.

That was probably one of the best flight/trips I've ever made. Had to fly cross-country from eastern NE out to WY. We followed the highway mostly and were able to get an amazing view of chimney rock in the western part of the state. I had some downtime once out there and visited some of the wagon ruts from the Oregon trail. Certainly a beautiful part of the country.

Comment

Working...
            X