What lithic is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What lithic is this

Found this in montgomery texas.its a grayish blue color and theres no other stone like it in my area.any ideas thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9168.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	197790 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9169.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	197791

It's tough identifying rocks from just a couple of pictures without some real good close-ups to show the size and nature of the mineralogy plus some basic information about hardness and density. It appears to be volcanic and - as a guess - I would say it might be in the territory of basaltic andesite.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey man its really hard and dense.I thought it was turquoise or coral.cant see it being valcanic from my area.would be cool if the natives carried it in.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by skrewkase View Post
          Hey man its really hard and dense.I thought it was turquoise or coral.cant see it being valcanic from my area.would be cool if the natives carried it in.
          ... but you already said there are no rocks like it in your area, so if that were the case there would be no reason to suppose it wasn't volcanic. Nevertheless, the new pictures show that it isn't.

Just goes to show how pictures can be misleading. It doesn't even look like the same rock in the second set of pictures. It's now clear that much of it, especially the surface coating is glassy and amorphous... so since you say it's dense and hard I would say it's probably largely composed of chalcedony.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks for info man.

Comment

Are you in an area where the Manning Fused Glass is formed, that might be a possibility.
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I was thinking that it could be an industrial slag.

Comment

I am not far north of you in Madison County, and up here a popular driveway material is slag from the mines around Jewett. It has that slightly glassy, blue color. Packs down like lava and makes a great driveway, but sadly man-made.

Comment

Working...
                  X