Anyone into fluorescent minerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into fluorescent minerals

This is a different type of rock hounding we got into a few years ago. These were collected in southeastern Ontario.
    This is what they look like in normal light.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	244066

And here they are under short wave UV light.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	244067Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	244069Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	244068 It's hard to do the colours justice with my camera, I'm just using it on auto and trying to hold the light and the camera at the same time without shaking, as I learn more about all the settings and use a tripod I will try take better pics. in the future. The rock on the left that appears mostly white is actually like a neon baby blue colour same with the lightning bolts in the other rocks.

rockON That's amazing. I've never seen anything like that. Thanks for sharing.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Those are cool do you know what types of rock they are?
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• rock ON.
        rock ON. commented
        Editing a comment
        They are a coarse marble made up of fluorescent minerals such as,calcite-[pink,red,and orange],aragonite-[blue/white,streaks],diopside-[blue/white],chondrodite-[yellow],and hydrozincite-[powder blue].

Those are very cool. Do you hunt them at night with a handheld florescent?
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• rock ON.
        rock ON. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes we did and it was amazing the pebbles sand and gravel under our feet fluoresced so did large boulders with streaks of different colours running all through them at this particular location, it was kind of psychedelic.

Very neat.

Comment

Yeah those are way cool!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Wow , ok that is just is amazing
          T

Comment

I've never looked into them but I think the biggest place in fluorescent mineral is Franklin, NJ... look it up! You'll be amazed at the photos. I went to a small museum there when I was younger.

Comment

• rock ON.
              rock ON. commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually seeing pics from Franklin is what really got me interested fluorescent minerals then I found out about the Long lake zinc mine not far from where I live here in Ontario [that's where I collected the specimens in these pic's] so I bought a UV light and got hooked on this new to me type of rock hounding. Some samples from Franklin came with the light. Would love to do some collecting there one day. I have also found some interesting but not as impressive fluorescent minerals just in random rock cuts and other old mines or quarries.
          Working...
          X