Some recent whatcha ma callits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some recent whatcha ma callits

I pick up rocks too. Not everything I come home with has any value except to me.
    Later.

Jess B.

Attached Files
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

love that first one. that is an awesome little concretion. The last one is odd? I would have brung them all home too.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Cool Jesse, that second one like quartz. Here's my quartz teeth. Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1119.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	244664
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh - I like those crystals in that quartz - they really look like teeth to...

• Bone2stone
        Bone2stone commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like "Dogtooth Calcite"
        Sought after as a catalogue mineral.
        I like finding the different types of calcite, it's quite a versatile crystal.

Jess B.

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Really, cool.

Rocks are cool.
      You should have some fun with that first one. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26063_LI.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	244689
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Bear creek is loaded with oddball material.

​Jessy B.

Comment

Alright B2S, what is that last Whatcha ma callit. That is really interesting. I like the first concretion but the last one has my interest?????
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
            Alright B2S, what is that last Whatcha ma callit. That is really interesting. I like the first concretion but the last one has my interest?????
            Just part of a much larger iron oxide silt stone that broke apart during the creek tumble.
            These are quite abundant but most are of little or no interest because they crumble quite easily into particulates.

​Jessy B.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
              I think I replied about the wrong specimen. It is a naturally formed stone.
              The third one correct? It is a concretion of sandstone with a natural binder "calcite" as a cementing agent.
              Most often they are found just as round stones that some confuse as Indian gaming stones.
              Some areas produce them washing out of the Shale bed matrix so identification is absolute.
              These are sometimes found as large as the hood of a car.

​Jessy B.

Comment

Geez, you've got some interesting rocks! The ones I brought home thinking they were artifacts that proved otherwise now lie in my driveway. Yours are keepers!
                Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                X