Petrified wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrified wood

A piece of petrified wood I found yesterday in Clinton Tennessee. This is really nice looking stuff but you could not knapp this because it would cube out if struck with a billet. I was out house hunting and this was laying in a yard not sure if it is native to where I found it . The red color suggests that the mineral which replaced the organic wood was iron rich. Click image for larger version

Name:	20171105_091013.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	271085Click image for larger version

Name:	20171105_091025.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	271086
    Attached Files
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

It’s a shame that it couldn’t be utilized into a point ,,,, that would be awesome
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Interesting Matt! I didn't know we had petrified wood like that around here. I have seen plenty in sedimentary sandstone but never a glossy chert like form.

Clinton Tn? You'd be right up the road if were talking the same place ... north of Knoxville off 75?
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup I been looking in Knoxville, Maryville, Oak Ridge, Lenoir City, Philadelphia, Sweetwater, Clinton, Lake City, Rocky Top and La Folette. I really like that area up in La Folette they have an ATV park up there and allow them on the roads in traffic. Pretty cool if you ask me. Plus the mountains up there this time of year are spectacular. Anyway that hunk of rock was buried in the yard right next to the driveway. I have seen this stuff out west but first I have seen in TN.

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, lafollete is a nice town, lots of artifacts if you find the right landowners. My cousin finds quite a bit of stuff around there. I like the mountains too. The Atv thing is getting pretty big in small mountain communities all over. I don't see why not if you allow bicycle s on the roads everywhere... Hard to go wrong in any of those places as they all have cool attributes and are all close to major interstates. I'm going to be scoping a new house before long as my family continues to grow...

Perhaps it occurs here in limited amounts. I just read a piece was found in Pigeon Forge but there was no photo to back it up for a visual. I think if this was from a gift shop it would have had a polished surface.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Interesting stuff...

Comment

Hey Matt - ya giving up arrowhead hunting for house hunting now. What a change. You will probably have a harder time finding the right house than you will artifacts. Now - how can you tell that it petrified wood. I've found some similar stuff up here - same color and, I believe, texture and it has the tendency to break away like building blocks. I just figured it was cheap chert Yuk Yuk. I've always tried to find a grain or something that would look like wood grain in petrified wood. Hum. Next time I won't be so quick to throw it away before some closer examination. Would look good in the rock garden.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            I have seen a good bit of this type Petrified wood Chuck but mostly from out west nd I could just tell it was so similar. Because this was on a home pro[erty that was built in 1935 there is no telling how it ended up there? It may not even be from where I found it. It is very cool stuff though

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            This reminds me of the pet wood from AZ. https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...-olympics10318

I wouldn’t have thought it was petrified wood either, but it does resemble wood when it starts to get a little rotted..
          South Dakota

Comment

Hey Matt, You are right about that layered Pet Wood. I tried to knap a piece like that and this is what I got:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	271118
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Scorpion68
              Scorpion68 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Ron - now you can make some drills, Huh!!!!

Could have traveled to end up there. Took the family on a 7800 mile road trip years ago. Let's just say the minivans tires sat a bit squatter and the frame was closer to the ground when we got back home in the little town of Hartland, Mi. The front yard landscaping since, has rocks including petrified wood from a dozen Western states.
            Good luck on the house hunting.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Reminds me , and this is on the topic of hauling rocks .
              my Dad and I filled up the trunk of the family Chevy .
              Brought back enough rocks to build a waterfall at the front entry . Wow so illegal now . That was over 50 years ago .
              Went back to show my niece the house her Dad and I grew up in . The man that owned it was tickled pink to hear all the stories . Especially the waterfall story . He was amazed .

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Matt. When we moved from CA to VA my mom & I took the train & Dad drove our two birds & dog cross- country in the family car. He drove the southern route to avoid March storms in the Sierras. His route took him close by
                the Petrified Forest & he was amazed at the massive petrified trees lying about. He always wanted to go back but never made it. I dug out an old photo of him standing by a tree trunk whose diameter was broader than he was tall. Thanks for the memory!
                Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                X