Petrified Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrified Wood

I bought this piece of petrified wood back in 1965, when my Brother Bob and I went on a 2 week vacation out west from Illinois. I was working at the steel mill in Granite City, Ill just after graduation from highschool and got laid off. So, my Brother took his vacation and we headed out west in his 1965 Chevy Belair, with a Gibson Sunburst guitar and a pocket full of change, to go sightseeing. We stopped through the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona and I found this piece in the guest shop. I bought it because I thought it looked like my home state of Illinois.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Petrified Wood 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	280436Click image for larger version

Name:	Petrified Wood 4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	280437
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Nice specimen, Chuck! And it does look like Illinois! Great memories I'm sure with a road trip like that.

First time I was in the Petrified Forest was I think in 1984, and I witnessed an embarrassing event when 2 rangers busted a married couple for taking pieces from the park itself. The rangers spotted pieces on the back seat of their car. The husband told them he had collected it outside the park. Then the wife showed up a minute later. She said: "oh, we bought that at a rock shop." Oh my!
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea - they have signs posted all over the place about not taking samples from the site and refer visitors to the store to purchase them. Plus it just aint worth the hassle to save a couple of dollars.

Last August it was dark when I passed through there. Bummer because it was dark going out and returning. I would have loved to see it. Chuck nice piece of Petrified wood. It does look like Illinois too.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is too bad it was dark cause that's an incredible place.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a reason to go back now. Once I get my new home up to par I will be taking a little trip.

Great tale Chuck.

What happened to the Gibson Sunburst?

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, after we finished that vacation, I joined the Navy and left home. Brother Bob was in a band so he kept the guitar. Then he joined the Navy and the guitar went with him aboard ship. He formed another band and they played (with the Gibson) at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, England in 1967 - where the Beatles first started. I was stationed in Washington DC at the time and he visited me and gave me the guitar to keep. I kept it until about 6 years ago when I gave it back to him and he traded it in for a Gretch Country Gentleman. And that's my story and I'm stick'n to it!! Betcha you're sorry you asked now - Huh??

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great Guitar story Chuck.

Wow! That's one of the best guitar stories ever. Man, that Gibson saw some real estate Chuck. And, I fully understand trading it in for a Country Gentleman. When I hit the lottery I'm buying a Sunburst and a Country Gentleman.

The Cavern Club part really blows my mind.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      My favorite all time guitar was the Martin Hummingbird. It had a fast fret board, easy chording and tuning and just a pleasure to play. Unfortunately in the 1960's that baby cost $425 and I just couldn't muster that kind of money on a sailors pay. A buddy of mine from Ohio had one and we used to jam a bit til everyone in the barracks were gathered around singing and stompin.

Wondered about the Gibson too, a sweet guitar. What a story, thanks!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg.

Thanks for the reply Greg. Always like your posts.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
    X