Geodes, to open or not to open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geodes, to open or not to open?

Recently my step mom gave me an intact geode. It came from the farm of her former father-in-law, in Niota, IL. She said she's cracked a few open, from the same farm, and remembers them having amethyst in them. Not sure what formation it came out of but it looks to have a cortex of sandstone and dolostone. I'd like to crack it, and have an idea of how I'd go about it but, I also like it as it is.. Just wanting opinions on what y'all would do with it and strategies on how you'd go about cracking it.

Yes .. do it natures treasures are inside ..
    please share that .

Comment

Saw it in half. If you don't have the means, find someone who does. I would advise against just "cracking it open."

Comment

I used to soak fossil rocks in water for a couple days then freeze them and they would split open very easily revealing a nice fossil but the geodes may not respond that way. Maybe look into some methods of opening so ya done wreck it. Show the innards...
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Filmiracl, while it would be ideal to cut it open I don't think I know anyone with the means to do so, and it seems like that may be easier said than done. What kind of blade would be required to do so, diamond tip masonry blade? Why do you advise against cracking it open?

Comment

Baba, yeah, definitely not going to go at it without some knowledge or a good plan. It has some fissures that would make good FALs (force application locations).

Comment

There are vids on YouTube showing how to create a score line using a chisel around the circumference. Worth a look.
              Child of the tides

Comment

I'd agree with filmracki, I think Deb mentiontioned a video on scorlines. Not sure how well that works but it may be worth looking into if you don't have acess to a lapidary saw. But just trying to crack it open seem like a bad idea that would probably result in a uneven or offcenter crack and would likely damage the inner workings or even leave you with a lot more pieces than two halves...
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thank you all for the input. I asked before I put any thought into it or did any research into how to go about it. Guess I could have at least googled it first. Just figured the forum would have some ideas or maybe there would be someone who had done it before. When I get it figured out I'll be sure to post pics. Thanks again.

Comment

Google rock shops in your area, there is bound to be one nearby. They will be able to guide you to someone willing to cut it open.
                    Bruce
                    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I just bought some and they gave me a paper on it. It said put it in a old sock and hit it with a hammer

Comment

Did you do it yet ?

Comment

8" or larger wet tile saw.....
                          Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

I have three rock saws. I would saw them in half and send them back.
                            If you can find someone locally you could save time and shipping cost.
                            Michigan Yooper
                            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                            X