• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Carved Head

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 05 06 stone head 1.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	300218 I was shown this carved head and would like to see if there is any other similar finds. This seems to be quartz??? It was (found) around twenty miles east of Columbia, SC The gentleman who has it says he found it on his farm which has been in his family for at least 3 generations. I have tried the Univ of SC and they do not believe it is local. Good Luck

It does not look Native American at all to me either... Can we see photos of all sides please including the bottom? The eyes remind me of Tahitian sculpture but the nose and beard remind me of Roman like features although its way to crude for that imo. We have folks who may have better ideas than me but we need multiple angles in good focus as well. Thanks!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That's not N.A. My first instinct is Italy or Greece. It appears to be carved out of solidified volcanic rock called " volcanite ". Which is an agglomerate of molten volcanic rock that has cooled and fused together to form a single mass, similar to conglomerate, but absent of quartz, felsites, micas, etc.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Name:	2018 05 06 stone head 2.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	300482 Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 05 06 stone head 3.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	300483 ​ ​​​​​​​ ​ I only have three pictures at this time. I did look at the back and it was white as that was the side that was up to the sun. This is were I saw the quartz. Hope to get more pictures soon.

Comment

Name:	2018 05 06 stone head 3.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	300487 Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 05 06 stone head 2.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	300488 Here are the other 2 photos that I have as of now.

Comment

The carving is very rough and not well defined in my opinion.
            By that I am referring to the cartoonish looking mouth and the googly eyes.
            They do't match up with the top of the head.
            How did this gentleman find it?
            This might help with those wanting to look. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_42162.jpg Views:	1 Size:	127.6 KB ID:	300574
            Last edited by 2ndoldman; 05-16-2018, 11:41 AM.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I talked to the man that found this stone head. He found it on his property about two feet down. This area was cotton plantation and during civil war the owner housed over 900 slaves in the area ..my thinking is one of them had time on his hands.

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed see post

Certainly not of NA origin. Not disputing the finder's story; it may be of foreign origin or foreign-inspired.
              Child of the tides

Comment

I started to think about the area . How many years ago and that was my first thought . African .. I looked up so many African sculptures but none like this . The best I could do for the area online and the time frame was maybe Myan replica but the face like Bruce said didn’t match .
                Wolf I have been to Africa and they are very much into creative arts . I think you hit it on the head . Someone might of had some red clay or stone and tried their hand at it .
                you might have figured out your own mystery it fits .

Comment

It does have an African look to it .That long narrow face and high forehead is seen on many african carvings both wood and stone. That is a pretty cool find .
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Name:	IMG_2513.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	301374 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	301371 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2509.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	301372 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	301373 I have just met today with the owner of the Stone carved head. When I got there he had just sold it to a lady for $300 and she said it was a birthday present for her brother. I did ask the original owner why he had been digging down 2 ft on his property and he said he was putting in a foundation for another building. While taking these last pictures I saw a flake on the back side. With my fingernail I picked at it and a small piece came off. In my thinking this carvin g was made out of dense sandstone. Anyway here are my final pictures for you pleasure. Al W Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	301369
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X