Chert nodule in limestone boulder, Hays Co, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chert nodule in limestone boulder, Hays Co, TX

I'm not sure this is the right part of the forums, but since this is just an interesting rock formation, I thought the geology section was appropriate.

I've found lots of small to medium size pieces of chert lying around here. This is the first chert nodule I've seen still in its host boulder. btw, I didn't do any of the breakage. I think that's probably from the boulder rolling in one of our Hill Country floods.

This is Edwards chert in Edwards limestone on an exposure of the Edwards Limestone formation. It's all so Edwardsy...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Edwards chert-amoeba in limestone 011b.JPG
Views:	1157
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	307776 Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Edwards chert-amoeba in limestone 013b.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	307777 Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Edwards chert-amoeba in limestone 010b.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	307778
    I used to be young and foolish. Not so young any more.

You already have some interesting posts welcome . It’s very interesting to see its original state . Can’t wait till Ron comments on this .

Comment

Thanks, Tam! I'm here mainly to learn about artifacts, but the underlying geology is interesting too.

Comment

Hey Limestoned, I love the pictures. I honestly believe you are in the best area of our nation to collect fine cherts. I like all the Edwards plateau cherts. Two of my favorites are Georgetown and Root Beer.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the ancient people used some of that chert based on the fractures and patina.

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Now there is an ancient artifact that is even bigger than my 85 pound hornstone core.

• Limestoned
          Limestoned commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Ron. I started this little rock and points search about a week ago mainly because I read about that root beer chert, and I wanted to see if I could find some. That stuff looks beautiful in thin blades.

I really wanted to knock a flake off this to see what the color was underneath, but I think this is one of those pieces best left as-is, although I might drag it up to the house so that other people can see it..

I agree: I wouldn't mess it up or alter it. Any flintknapper of artifact collector would love to see it. If you decide to drag it I would pull it onto a sled: Papermill felt or something like that.
        Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-10-2018, 02:09 PM.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I got that rock safely moved up to the house. Here's what the underside looks like. When you think about it, this one rock shows two of the reasons this area was inhabited for so long. Plenty of water for drinking and plenty of chert for toolmaking. Those big holes are the reason the Edwards Aquifer exists, the reason there are springs along the Balcones Escarpment.

I was mainly wanting to find some stone artifacts instead of just stones, but I still think this is a nice specimen because it shows the raw material, the beginning of the artifact making process.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chert boulder 001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	335.4 KB ID:	308072
          Last edited by Limestoned; 07-11-2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Cool find, I could see spalling off some big nice flakes and giving up on the rest! Just too easy! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Limestoned
                Limestoned commented
                Editing a comment
                Luckily I can save this one for its looks. It turns out there's a lot more chert on this property than I expected to find. I think I've even found some old flake cores, so that gives me hope that I might find some artifacts.
            Working...
            X