X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting rock

Found at the beach. Meteorite-like?
    SW Connecticut

It does look like a meteorite, but it also looks like a bit of water tumbled slag (meteorwrong).
    Have you given it the magnet test?

https://geology.com/meteorites/meteo...fication.shtml
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Yes non magnetic
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Olden already nailed it. Try a magnet, if it doesn't stick probably not a meteorite. Usually they seem melted more on one side. Oh yea, they are extremely hard to find, so odds are, it's slag. If not that then, I don't know. Several different kinds of iron ore, could be some form of that. The bubbles look like its from an industrial process.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Flint thx for input to man

Olden your right about slag looking at site u put up thx for input
        SW Connecticut

Comment

There are some meteorites, namely the class known as achondrites, that are not magnetic, but one thing you will not see in the real deal is all those vesicles. That's a dead giveaway for it not being a meteorite right there.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh - Now don't get me started on another Hobby Y'all! I'm just getting used to arrowheads :- ] Gotta admit it's an interesting find Red.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              Thx Chuck my bro in law found it at the beach and Matt said Charlie would be the go to meteorite guy

Ok thx a lot Charlie bro in law thought they were regmaglypts..wow. And thought he might have lunar or martian meteorite..is slag and coke ferrous?.....
            SW Connecticut

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Red, I was just explaining the "thumbprints" feature on meteorites, and did not see this comment before I wrote. Your brother-in-law's mistake is easy to make if you're not used to real meteorites. Red, I'm not up on the composition of slag, sorry. Speaking of lunar meteorites, the price per gram has plummeted in recent years, and you too can own a piece of the moon for crazy low prices, lol....

Red, it's not hard to see how you, or anyone, might think that was a meteorite. There is a surface feature, found on both iron and stone meteorites, known as regmaglypts, nicknamed "thumbprints", and which form via the action of air, when the surface of the meteorite is in a molten state during its brief flight through the atmosphere. Here is a small specimen of the iron meteorite called Sikhote-Alin, which fell in Siberia in 1947, and which shows those "thumbprints" nicely. This is what most folks visualize when they think of meteorites, and the surface features of slag can be easily enough confused with this appearance.
            Last edited by CMD; 08-27-2018, 06:06 PM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Hey Charlie are the vesicles the tiny pinholes?
              SW Connecticut

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, gas bubbles....

Thanx Charlie I and he appreciate your input man ...ohh man he was hoping lunar or martian 1000 an ounce? Wow. One more thing..the one in your pic is iron right ? And thus one is Rick .could that appear a bit diff cuz of that fact do you think?
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Not Rick ..Rock sorry
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Oh I see in your post it says both kinds have megraglypts .... Thanx
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

Hi,

Its most likely a fulgurite. It’s the result of a lightning strike on a beach or just in soil. They are all over the beaches here in the Carolina’s. They come in all kinds of weird shapes and most folks walk right past them not knowing what they are.

Von

Comment

Thanks for the input von ...I'll Google fulgurite
                      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Von
                        Von commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Most of the pictures on line show them before they are tumbled in the surf and sand. Yours looks like a beach find. Here’s a picture of one I found on a local golf course and a meteorite I have. All of them are not that pretty. If you want a really nice one you have to dig it up right after the lightning strike.
                    Working...
                    X