Kettle bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle bottom

Have you ever seen a kettle bottom? They find these in coal mines throughout Appalachia. They can fall out of the roof of a mine and crush a man to death. This one is down the road from my house a couple miles. It is about three and a half feet across. they can be as big as six feet across. A pretty cool thing to see . Click image for larger version  Name:	kettle bottom.jpg Views:	1 Size:	387.9 KB ID:	316374
    Last edited by Hoss; 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Mother nature is an awesome artist.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

No what is it a concretion?

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes a concretion Andy

Indeed that is pretty darn cool . Have seen the photos on the beaches but nothing like this . How the heck did it get there Matt?

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        There was mines near here some miner probably loaded it into his truck and moved it there. I did not want to knock on the door where it is.

Ancient alien spacecraft effigy... Click image for larger version

Name:	ancient aliens guy.png
Views:	1179
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	316383 just sayin...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew it!!!

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        "Aliens..."

• Owen70
        Owen70 commented
        Editing a comment
        You beat me to it! “We come in peace” 😜

My grandfather was a coal miner, as was my great grandfather and great-great grandfather. They worked in the PA anthracite region. My great-great grandfather was a foremen/inspector at the mines. There was clearing to be done in the back of a long tunnel. The workers said that they had finished, so he had to go and check on the quality of the job done. He always had a partner, usually his Spanish speaking friend and assistant. He told his assistant that he wanted to inspect the mine by himself, and he also told him to go home and get some rest. No more than five minutes later, the entire mine collapsed on him, killing him instantly. His assistant never forgave himself for not going in with him, and committed suicide a few years later. Coal mining is dangerous work, and that rock you have there proves it. It takes great courage to go down a hole, into the inky blackness to get the job done.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That's a nice one Matt, up in eastern KY (Letcher co.) Where I'm from there's a place on an abandoned strip mine where they placed 4 or 5 that were all Volkswagen sized right side by side on the edge of the cut visible from the valley below. We use to play on them as kids when we had Campmeetings on top the mountain. They looked like UFO's so we always called them the "Alien Rocks". Lol. It was a good place to pick up tree fossils too, I've seen some impressive fossil prints come out of the mines as well. My partner at work now, has one about that size in his yard that he took a rotary drill and made an awesome looking fountain above a pond in his yard with. Hadn't seen one for a while down here, so thanks for bringing back the memories...
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks for sharing Hoss!
          South Dakota

Comment

That's cool Matt
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
            X