Meteorites???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteorites???

So I have stumbled across a stone that'sthat's I cannot identify but resembles a heat shield meteorite. There's lots of steps to be able to take and narrow down the possibility but at the same time it says may or may not be because they were different kinds. Do you know a sure way to tell

Can you show us a picture?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Some are more nagnetic than others ... What do y'all think ? I did question it to be potentially lava rocks.... Or just cool rocks that are magnetic Click image for larger version

Name:	image_48683.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	324548
      Last edited by Hoss; 10-09-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I've collected meteorites for close to 30 years, but you never stop learning, and can never know everything. Most of the time, identification by photo will be problematic. But, stones with the type of vesicles that most of your stones show are not considered good candidates. They certainly don't look like meteorites. In some respects they resemble some tektites, but tektites would not be magnetic at all. I would have to say not meteorites, but am hesitant to identify them otherwise.
        Rhode Island

Comment

It's possible the vesicles displayed by your stones are being confused by you for the regmaglypts seen on this iron meteorite. That is a common mistake made with meteorwrongs, which is the technical term for terrestrial rocks that can be, and are, mistaken for meteorites for any number of reasons.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1533.JPG Views:	2 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	324574
          Rhode Island

Comment

It looks like Petroleum coke to me .Petroleum coke has an Iron content and can be magnetic.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, that's what I thought, but I wanted others to weigh in as I just don't run into coke often enough. But, yep, I agree that is what it most resembles....

Originally posted by CMD View Post
            It's possible the vesicles displayed by your stones are being confused by you for the regmaglypts seen on this iron meteorite. That is a common mistake made with meteorwrongs, which is the technical term for terrestrial rocks that can be, and are, mistaken for meteorites for any number of reasons.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1533.JPG Views:	2 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	324574
            What beautiful specimen!!!!
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Jess.
          Working...
          X