A few rocks I'm curious about.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few rocks I'm curious about.

Hey y'all. I've got a few samples of "rocks" found at the club that I'm curious about. Thought I'd check here. General location is in NC between the Uwharrie and the SC state line.
    This first sample was found on the bank of the big creek. It looks different than the rest of the rounded, smooth rocks and triangular stuff generally seen there. Very smooth surfaces. Kindasorta resembled a cheap cut of long grained beef with a fat layer (or mebbe I was just hawngry). The two pieces are roughly double fist size with the one being a bit larger. I knocked one into the other and got a few chips after a coupla whacks. Not really what I'd think of as "conchoidal", but not just crunched, either.
    The first tan colored rock is a very fine-grainy black on the inside. And harrrrd. Took 3 or 4 good cracks with the l'il 3# to get a break and it was spraying me pretty hard with shrapnel in the process. It's about the size of my noggin. I was guessing basalt.
    The last one was found up on one of the hills in an area laden with a buncha spalls. It's about fist sized and I thought that mebbe one of these days I could play with it so I tried not to bang it very hard. I think I did what would be called an indirect strike to get the l'il chip for an inside peek (punch on a platform, strike the punch?). Chert?
    The tan color is from our plentiful "Complimentary Hunt Club Camouflage" that covers anything not in water.
    Thanks much for any help satisfying my curiosity. d:^)

Click image for larger version  Name:	SlickStripedRockChippedMtn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	327867 Click image for larger version  Name:	SlickStripedRockMtn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.7 KB ID:	327868 Click image for larger version  Name:	SlickStripedRockMtn2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.4 KB ID:	327869 Click image for larger version  Name:	SlickStripedRockChipped2Mtn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	327870
    Click image for larger version  Name:	RRboundaryEnt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.4 KB ID:	327871 Click image for larger version  Name:	MebbeChert.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	327872
    Last edited by HawgBonz; 10-26-2018, 09:29 AM. Reason: Inattentiveness... squared.
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

The specimen in this photo might be Green Scilicified Siltstone.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	327925
    I think the stuff in the last photo is Rhyolite and not Basalt. Rhyolite is pretty tough stuff. The ancients who knapped that stuff certainly knew some secrets.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hawg this is an older topic on here about North Carolina Rhyolite. There is some fantastic information in this topic. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...rhyolite/page3
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
        The specimen in this photo might be Green Scilicified Siltstone. I think the stuff in the last photo is Rhyolite and not Basalt. Rhyolite is pretty tough stuff. The ancients who knapped that stuff certainly knew some secrets.
        Thanks, Hoss. I'm still tryin to get the hang of how to present pics here. I'll prolly go back and haul that green-ish smooth rock outta there this week. Didn't have my "haulin rig" on me that particular outing. I did find the guy pictured below, tho'. Always hate for'em to not be found. Looked to have been there a coupla days.

The bigger 1st tan-ish rock with the grainy black chips is the one I thought may be basalt. Not sure if that's even around in NC, tho'.

The second, smaller one with the conchoidal chip sittin on it is the one I was thinkin may either be chert or a fine ryolite.
        I'm gonna check out that link and see if it'll help get me headed in the right direction on such things. d:^)

Click image for larger version

Name:	CreekBuck.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	327936
        Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Comment

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a bummer about that buck. He had a nice rack on him. What do you suppose killed him? Sorry, can't help with the rocks.

• HawgBonz
          HawgBonz commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't see an entry or exit wound on the side that was up. And he was too soaked and heavy for me to rassle him over. Prolly caught some buckshot cause he had blood from his nose. I really hate that stuff for hunting deer.

I’d go back and saw that rack off at the least! Ugh what a shame! Well lost game can slightly be justified that even if we don’t get to eat it you know a lot of other things will, the life won’t go to waste, the critters will carry on the food chain. The reason the rocks aren’t breaking like you’d expect is probably because your hittin them wrong, hammers are terrible for bopping rocks, find a nice round rock about the size that would fit in your hand, ( put on safety glasses) take your rock in question and find a small protrusion or bump that juts out off the main bulk of it, and give it a good pass thru kinda whack down and slightly into the stone. Plus watch a video on YouTube on flintknapping where they do some Spalling ,that’d probably help more than me trying to describe it,lol.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• HawgBonz
          HawgBonz commented
          Editing a comment
          I did. And yeah, the yote and hogs will love it.
          I'll watch a few more vids. I've seen some, but my CRS is always factoring. Hehehe. Just got back from the club and gotta new report comin for this trip. Been pickin up larger spalls to mess with and I think I found a big raw chunk of rhyolite. d:^)

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          Right on man
      Working...
      X