River rocks on the hill..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River rocks on the hill..

This has aggravated me since I joined the club back in the late 90's. I may be wrong, but when I see rounded rocks I consider them "river rocks". Two of the highest points (580' & 470') on the club are loaded with them. I know this area had a good bit of volcanic activity, but geez. That's a long ways up from the river bottom!
    What's the story? d:^)

Click image for larger version

Name:	RiverRocksCampHill.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	329239 Click image for larger version

Name:	RiverRocksCampHill3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	329240 Click image for larger version

Name:	RiverRocksCampHill2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	329241
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Brother, I’d be all over that glacial fallout looking for paleo !!!
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I see , I must define my glacial fallout comment to Cirque/Alpine glacial fallout.....JJ

Ditto pull up a chair ... yeah you’ll tip over

Comment

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      Has this been beaten to death already? I'm a l'il late gettin here. Hehehe. d;^)

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
    Brother, I’d be all over that glacial fallout looking for paleo !!!
    This particular place is where a dozer went thru re-cutting the fire lane. The top of the big hill (570') is pretty much au naturale. And I see this all over the club.
    So a glacier drug all that crap up there ya say? d:^)
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Prolly so Sir. First documented Clovis & Folsom points came out of gravel in NM, long ago....

Hi HawgBonz I will try and send you some good reads about North Carolina Geology when I get a chance I'm at work now. The glaciers did not make it as far south as NC during our Paleo Indian times. I believe they made it to the northern Virginia. I hunt areas where round rocks are everywhere including on the hill tops. Before our Paleo Indian times I don't think we had glaciers this far south but I could be wrong need to research more.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Get back to work! lol!

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      That work mess is gettin in the way of some good rock time. Yer gonna hasta quit that one-of-these-days. d;^)

Sugaree is right the glaciers didn’t make it to the piedmont of N.C. There’s some argument about glaciers in the mountains but I think the jury is still out on that? The Uwharrie Mountains were really large a long time ago and I believe they were also a chain of volcanic islands in a shallow sea way back when. The kicker is that the current mountains are a result of erosion which explains the river rock at higher elevations in your area. Just imagin flat ground being level with the top of all those hills and how long it took to wash all that dirt away leaving what we see today!

Von

Comment

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess compared to "real" mountains our little hills are just bumps on the landscape. The concentration of these river rocks on the tops of these hills is still baffling. They're not in those concentrations, especially like the one pictured, in the lower elevations of the club. Although they are there for the most part. Seems like it'd be more evenly spread. That's why it seemed at first look what LM stated made some sense. A glacier dragging across a hill maybe could leave a concentration of river rocks on a hilltop.
      But then again, I never even graduated high school (GED), so whudduIknow? Hehehe.. d;^)

Think thousand, no millions of years of the evolution of those mountains.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      The Old Man and I were discussing that kindof thing yesterday. Wondering what the people who lived around here did during all that upheaval. But they prolly really weren't even around for the volcanic eruptions of the Uwharries.
      It's hard to comprehend "millions" of years. I have enough trouble remembering my current doctor's appointments. Hehehe. d;^)

Erosion. That may have been the bottom of a river but creeks went around that hill over time. Also earthquakes cause some land to rise and some to sink.

Comment

Hey HB - I live about 1600 ft up the mountain side here in Tenn and a couple of years back I came across a 300lb rock that had a pattern on it. I took a pic and sent it off to an archaeologist that I knew and he said it was the impression, probably in mud, of wave action from either the ocean or large lake that over time became rock. So - sometime in the past, this area was beach front property. Wish I'd owned it then : -)
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        Might wanna check those land values from that time period before ya wish too hard! Hehehe. d;^)
        That's interesting stuff. Still got the pic?

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea - But I gotta downsize it to fit on here or I'll just go take another pic. The rock is way too big to move anywhere - so I know where to find it.

Those mountains were formed 500 million years ago. They were then on the coast. They’ve eroded to the “hills” you see now. I’m sure those rocks were formed by rivers and streams that once flowed. Glaciers did not reach that far south.

Comment

Working...
      X