Bediasite. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bediasite. ?

I am in the middle of Atascosa County. Picked this up from a mound on the creek bank I’ve collected quite a few points from. I’ve picked up odd little stones and rocks from the same spot too.
    This is about 3/4” long
    It seems to have all the features of Bediasite. Bubbles inside. Translucent when back lit and looks solid when lit from the front.
    It’s too thin to do any destructive test. Any ideas or suggestions without damage to better identity?

I could probably google it, but where is Atascosa County?
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Magnetic? Radioactive?
      SW Connecticut

Comment

I’ve never seen anything quite like that ! This is what I really enjoy about this site! Superman had better run !!!
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Here is a map of the bediasite strewn field. It's the white strip. Also, this page describes the North American strewn fields. It looks like a possibility. Some specimens are green when backlit. It would be an unusual shape,but not unheard of. Most will trend towards round in shape. But, if you can tell that your's was found in the strewn field, as seen on this map, and again, it's the white strip, then maybe it's a bediasite. I have collected meteorites since the early 80's, and I have a few tektites, but I do not own a bediasite...

http://www.originoftektites.com/2-ge...stribution.php

See also:

Found in 9 Texas counties:

https://www.meteorite-times.com/Back...e_of_Month.htm

You can see many translucent specimens at the bottom of this page:

Click image for larger version  Name:	F3688A29-DC92-45B3-897F-B6404B674AB1-6493-00000309A0E29E80.gif Views:	1 Size:	376.6 KB ID:	332836
          Last edited by CMD; 11-18-2018, 01:02 PM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Warren, I moved this topic to Rocks, Minerals, and Geology since bediasites were not used as a lithic material by Native Americans. They may have been collected by them, meteorites were collected by the Hopewell culture, for example, but tektites were unsuitable as a lithic material.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Awesome Cool specimen.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Not sure why this thread has re-surfaced but I hadn't seen it before and it gives me an opportunity to comment.

I'm not completely convinced that the item posted is a Bediasite, although I'm not sure exactly what it might be. I've never seen one with such obvious green colouration, but I suppose it may be possible.

I only have one in my collection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bediasite Tektite (Texas).jpg
Views:	564
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	508777

Certainly other tektites such as Moldavites have a distinct green colouration but it's their unique composition which creates the colour, Bediasites aren't reported to have the same kind of chemistry. Here's a Moldavite individual from my collection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moldavite Individual.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	508778

Some time ago I posted some pictures of what I believe is the only known artefact (a small scraper) made from a Bediasite. The pictures were from Guido von Berg, with whom I had some personal correspondence, and he kindly gave me permission to show them here. That old thread is here:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...texas-artifact
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
              X