Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock

What is this rock I found in the field the other day? Unusual around here in SW CT. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181207_210031.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	336775
    SW Connecticut

i would call that a leverite

Comment

You already taught me that but here in the Northeast there's gotta be different grades of
      leverites
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya JJ it's better to find a rock that's a leaverite than not to. Have found a rock at all... Right haha

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        That tickles me again, lol !

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        To leaverite, or not to leaverite. That is the question!

I always pick up unusual rocks and I like that one with the tents of purple in it, most likely one like that would go into my rock polisher.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I should get a polisher I always wonder how certain rocks would look polished. Sounds like good hobby

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        I have posted several batches of polished rocks in this section previously.

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice I'll check em out

I was walking a beach yesterday that had quartz pebbles in the mix and many had that darker color, from grey to green, pink to almost red to white. I think it looks just like one of those quartz pebbles. I took some home, too!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice...beaches have a lot a cool rocks. But when I find this in a cornfield ...its goin home.. just a rock but cool..thanks Tom I'm not only one with rocks in my head. Haha

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not realize the quartz pebbles came in so many colors until a friend sent me two sky blue quartz pebbles from New Mexico and they polished up really nice.

Almost too close a closeup, Red. It could be quartz, or quartzite.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        It does look kinda agate like ...I'll put in smaller pic

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        What I should have said is that it was a little blurry, not too closeup! In any event, it's an attractive stone, and easy to see why you collected it, Red.

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Charlie. Those guys from Texas are just being mean....haha we New England guys know better

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181207_091918.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	336806
      SW Connecticut

Comment

It looks like agate to me or possible calcedoney that was river tumbled. Nice looking stuff. Has sort of a bluish tint. I am no geologist so I am unsure if it is cobalt related but Southford had a Cobalt mine back in the day. I am not sure what the raw cobalt mined there even looked like.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow Matt that might be radio active if it's cobalt..uh oh I better take it outta my pocket
      Working...
      X