Biggest chunk of petrified wood ive found yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest chunk of petrified wood ive found yet

When i was a kid i spent alot of time on sandbars in the missouri river here in mid missouri. I always loved the little pieces of petrified wood id find, now in my "honey hole" where ive found a lot of artifacts in the past year ive also found pieces of petrifed wood much bigger than ive ever found out on the missouri river .This being my biggest. I left this in a safe spot to recover on my next short walk in the area. Didnt want to pack it on our longer walk (4miles) today. Show me your biggest pieces of petrified wood!

I think the biggest piece I found was about 6 inches long, and five inches thick. I gave it to somebody. In Kentucky, we have creeks like that, and petrified wood, but nothing massive. That's a nice piece!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Thanks. Im sure proud of it. Cant wait to go get it.

Comment

Cool piece, all of the ones I have are little pieces. Did they work pet wood in your area like they did down river from you? A piece that big might have some flakes or core work on it.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Ive yet to see a piece made from pet wood be pulled from around me but not saying it hasnt been done. I didnt see any flaking on this piece but when i go back and get it today ill look it over better

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a big chunk ! I have pet wood points but no ideal where the material came from....JJ

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, is that a mushroom in your profile pic ? We have none naturally here except toad stools.. I know a guy that cooked some and ate em, he got really sick ! He had moved in from out of state and made that mistake.. A person has to know what to look for .... I love mushrooms !

• DitchLeeper
            DitchLeeper commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes thats a cluster of morels i found last spring hunting cotton wood stumps along missouri river. We have many other edible variaties that grow during the warmer months as well. But as you said you have to know what your looking for.

Here is one I found. Needless to say I didn’t pack it home. There were two trees sticking out of the bank. I will show the link to the original thread. You did say show us your biggest piece. 🙂
          I found this petrified tree sticking out of the bank on the Grand River in western South Dakota. It was something to see that, after only finding pieces of

Click image for larger version

Name:	6BC77263-6C5F-4BBA-968D-9825FD7FC61A.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	342689
          South Dakota

Comment

I did pack home a chunk about the size you were holding that broke off and was lying down by the river. There was a whole pile of broken pieces.
            South Dakota

Comment

You win, wow that is really cool!

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
              Here is one I found. Needless to say I didn’t pack it home. There were two trees sticking out of the bank. I will show the link to the original thread. You did say show us your biggest piece. 🙂
              I found this petrified tree sticking out of the bank on the Grand River in western South Dakota. It was something to see that, after only finding pieces of

Click image for larger version

Name:	6BC77263-6C5F-4BBA-968D-9825FD7FC61A.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	342689
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thats amazing! Thats why i asked to see your alls biggest pieces! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Super find. I'd love to drag that whole thing out, roots and all. Wish we had some here. WOW,nice.
                  SE IA

Comment

Went back and got it out of the woods yesterday. Weighs a little over 26 pounds

Comment

Working...
                    X