Meteorite explodes over Cuba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteorite explodes over Cuba

A meteorite exploded over Cuba shattering windows , was seen over the Florida keys ... https://www.rt.com/news/450362-meteo...s-cuba-photos/

I had been wondering about this event. Thank you for the reminder. Found some more info here. One of the videos includes the moment the shock wave arrived at ground level. Always scares the daylights out of folks! There is also an image of the detonation flash as seen from space:

The space rock traveled over West Palm Beach, above the Florida Keys, and then to Viñales, a town in Pinar del Río, Cuba. It left a smoke trail seen by many. Images and video here.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Gracias Senor, disfrute el video! He visto un evento asi antes ! Espero nunca volver a verlo.... JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Esta bien Senior Lindenmeier

Cool videos!!! Thanks for posting them!

Von

Comment

Charlie I know you are chomping at the bit and just wanting to get on a plane and go down there .
        Whats your take on the material .

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
          Charlie I know you are chomping at the bit and just wanting to get on a plane and go down there .
          Whats your take on the material .
          Well, Cuba is probably a reasonably safe place for a meteorite hunter to fly down and try to find pieces, and score pieces from the locals. It looks like a chondrite, a stony meteorite to me, with the fragments showing lots of shock veins, not a result of impact, but part of the rock's history on its parent body, or perhaps collisions in space. Nice fresh black fusion crust, as expected of stones recovered immediately after the fall. You can be sure hunters are headed that way, likely already there. I will keep track of that, but no, no flights for me, lol.

I will take the opportunity your comment presents to post a very long recent article that describes just how dangerous meteorite hunting in foreign lands can be sometimes. I know some of these guys, They're crazy, lol. But this is a great story. I obtained a small piece of the fall described from one of the participants in this harrowing adventure....

In rural Peru, a chunk of rock made landfall with a tremendous blast. Meteorite hunters rushed to get a piece of the action. Then things got weird.

Rhode Island

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Great info

CMD , Great link you shared , really enjoyed the story . Thanks , Joe Louvier

Comment

Really nice article

Comment

OK, meteorite hunter/collector/dealer Mike Farmer is at the Tucson show after flying to Cuba and scoring quite a few individual stones and pieces. He has been selling them for $50/gm, very pricy for an Ordinary Chondrite, the most common meteorite type. Of course, he may be the only one with samples to sell, and who knows how much will reach market. Meteorites tend to sell high when first reaching market, as many collectors get excited and "have" to get some. Anyway, here are 7 photos taken by Farmer of what he brought back:

Rhode Island

Comment

And, specimens already appearing on eBay, so other dealers have some....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vinales-M...a/323688253854

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-4-gram-...9/323687912991

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cuban-met...9/192818832637
                Rhode Island

Comment

How cool is this? And the band played on....

Rhode Island

Comment

Detailed account of the fall from Michael Farmer....

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                    X