It's NOT tar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's NOT tar!

This piece may seem familiar...as it was posted before. Roger, I have taken many photos to help with identification. I have tried to research the rock type, could not locate the old thread, and want to add this rock to my photo albums with other fossils. God help me locate those old threads. My computer runs so slowly it's pathetic. Google Chrome helps!!! Anyway, if you can, please help with id of this rock. It is not tar!

Additional photos

Final Photo

Comment

Hi Pam
      Despite the fact that - if I recall correctly - you had burned it, smelled it and even tasted it (what a gal'  :kiss: ) to rule out the suggestions that it was tar or asphalt, I think it would be fair to say that we wuz a long way from making a decision that everyone bought into. Boy, is that an understatement! :dry:
      In my humble opinion, without the benefit of actually holding it, I still believe it to be a piece of porphyritic basalt, with small phenocrysts of olivine (the pale yellowish crystals) which commonly occur in volcanic rocks like this. Lava, of a kind. Like this here piece:

Have a great Xmas.
      Roger
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Hi Pam
        Despite the fact that - if I recall correctly - you had burned it, smelled it and even tasted it (what a gal'  :kiss: ) to rule out the suggestions that it was tar or asphalt, I think it would be fair to say that we wuz a long way from making a decision that everyone bought into. Boy, is that an understatement! :dry:
        In my humble opinion, without the benefit of actually holding it, I still believe it to be a piece of porphyritic basalt, with small phenocrysts of olivine (the pale yellowish crystals) which commonly occur in volcanic rocks like this. Lava, of a kind. Like this here piece:

Have a great Xmas.
        Roger
           :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: Good Memories!  Per request, I boiled the rock in water, smelled the rock, but by golly, I just couldn't bring myself to taste it! :lol: It was Connor who did the tasting for me!  The sheen on the rock is amazing.  I'm goin' with lava rock.  If there's any dispute, I proved it wasn't tar to the best of my ability! :laugh:
        Merry Christmas to you and may Peace follow your footsteps 
        Pam

Comment

Working...
        X