Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab Verified Barred Olivine Micrometeorite

Hello everyone!

The last few years have been pivital for the discovery of micrometeorites in urban sediment. Jon Larsen of Norway has written books about these little meteorites, and has successfully found over 1,000 thus making it possible to identify them more readily by visual analysis under a scanning electron microscope. After months of searching I found my first one, it was compared visually and chemically to the SPWW micrometeorites found at Antarctica and is indeed 100% a piece of space dust, albeit the most common type (barred olivine). The stone is .1 mm in diameter. Thanks for reading.

Ethan
    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Congrats to you. I wish I could do the same, having collected meteorites, with my wallet, lol, since 1983. Here is a page that will help our members better understand what you accomplished:

A jazz musician-turned-micrometeorite hunter gives advice on how to search for the tiny bits of cosmic dust that could be covering your rooftop.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• eannis6
      eannis6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, I searched for months and found hundreds of candidates before one was confirmed to actually be extraterrestrial in origin, but you may be more lucky!

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the great breakdown. I am getting older now, and I'm afraid this won't get crossed off any bucket list for me, lol. I just think it's cool that you did that.

• eannis6
      eannis6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot, it’s been fun.

I knew Charlie would jump on this .

Comment

Charlie, so basically get on your roof with a metal detector ?

Comment

Originally posted by eannis6 View Post
        Hello everyone!

The last few years have been pivital for the discovery of micrometeorites in urban sediment. Jon Larsen of Norway has written books about these little meteorites, and has successfully found over 1,000 thus making it possible to identify them more readily by visual analysis under a scanning electron microscope. After months of searching I found my first one, it was compared visually and chemically to the SPWW micrometeorites found at Antarctica and is indeed 100% a piece of space dust, albeit the most common type (barred olivine). The stone is .1 mm in diameter. Thanks for reading.

Ethan
        Where did you find this . Was it on the ground ? Were you metal detecting . I would never be able to tell the differace here in Hawaii . It all looks like lava rock . How did you know ?

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          So basically after reading the book I searched with the help of one of Larsen’s friends named Scott and Larsen to verify my find. If you look at the comment I made to Charlie you will understand the method I used to find them!

Wow! Looks like that four letter word to me, ( Work ). And so, do the micros have worth other than study pieces ? I looked at Charlies link and under scope they do have beauty. I know that cosmic dust settles on the Earth continually. What was that formula , one inch per thousand years ? I find meteorites from time to time searching for artifacts...Thinking I’ll stay off the roof except to put on and remove turbin cover. JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s really neat that you have found meteorites. That is on my bucket list! Where I am from it is quite rainy and they do not last very long after they fall. The micros have scientific value for studying- especially some of the rarer types! I also heard that Larsen sold some to NASA for a pretty penny, though I forget how much now.

I enjoyed meteorites for many years. I've begun to sell my collection now though, not easy to part with.

i know there are a few strewnfields in Texas. Perhaps LM walks them. It would be unexpected to make cold finds otherwise.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, that’s really amazing. I bought a meteorite in 2009 that was a fragment of one that fell in Russia.

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Sikhote Alin?

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! That’s it. Thanks.

Congrats on your find, super. I can't climb a ladder so went to the drain spouts run offs with a rare earth magnet and picked up 2 super small pieces of something. Under my most powerful loup they don't look anything like the photos. So not having a sem I wont know for sure. I have bought a few over the years and have a 4 inch Sikhote Alin as the largest and a few more common ones in my collections.
        SE IA

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Feel free to send me photos of potential micros- i would love to help you identify! That is so neat about the sikhote alin fragments they are gorgeous!
      Working...
      X