Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    Feel free to send me photos of potential micros- i would love to help you identify! That is so neat about the sikhote alin fragments they are gorgeous!

• oldrocks2
    replied
    Congrats on your find, super. I can't climb a ladder so went to the drain spouts run offs with a rare earth magnet and picked up 2 super small pieces of something. Under my most powerful loup they don't look anything like the photos. So not having a sem I wont know for sure. I have bought a few over the years and have a 4 inch Sikhote Alin as the largest and a few more common ones in my collections.

Leave a comment:

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    Yes! That’s it. Thanks.

• CMD
    commented on 's reply
    Sikhote Alin?

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, that’s really amazing. I bought a meteorite in 2009 that was a fragment of one that fell in Russia.

• CMD
    commented on 's reply
    I have a few rare pieces, but I just sold my centerpiece, a 379 gm Allende individual. It went to a friend, who has a great collection and it has a very good home. Very tough to sell such a specimen, though. I always have a tough time pulling the trigger with specimens like that.

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks a lot, it’s been fun.

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    That’s really neat- I would love to walk those fields one day. Thanks for sharing. I bet you have some awesome space rocks!

• CMD
    replied
    I enjoyed meteorites for many years. I've begun to sell my collection now though, not easy to part with.

i know there are a few strewnfields in Texas. Perhaps LM walks them. It would be unexpected to make cold finds otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• CMD
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the great breakdown. I am getting older now, and I'm afraid this won't get crossed off any bucket list for me, lol. I just think it's cool that you did that.

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    That’s really neat that you have found meteorites. That is on my bucket list! Where I am from it is quite rainy and they do not last very long after they fall. The micros have scientific value for studying- especially some of the rarer types! I also heard that Larsen sold some to NASA for a pretty penny, though I forget how much now.

• Lindenmeier-Man
    replied
    Wow! Looks like that four letter word to me, ( Work ). And so, do the micros have worth other than study pieces ? I looked at Charlies link and under scope they do have beauty. I know that cosmic dust settles on the Earth continually. What was that formula , one inch per thousand years ? I find meteorites from time to time searching for artifacts...Thinking I’ll stay off the roof except to put on and remove turbin cover. JJ

Leave a comment:

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    Also, I searched for months and found hundreds of candidates before one was confirmed to actually be extraterrestrial in origin, but you may be more lucky!

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    So basically after reading the book I searched with the help of one of Larsen’s friends named Scott and Larsen to verify my find. If you look at the comment I made to Charlie you will understand the method I used to find them!

• eannis6
    commented on 's reply
    Charlie, anyone can get on the roof and find these with effort and the right tools!

Find a large flat roof. Get a magnet and a plastic bag. Also get a broom. Sweep up all the dust on the roof. Then use the magnet to collect all the magnetic dust. Wash the magnetic dust sample in a bucket or bowl and then dehydrate it. Separate the dust sample into a group between 200 um and 400 um as mms are most commonly 300 um. Look for dark black stones that are aerodynamic. It is important to discount most perfect spheres because most perfect magnetic spheres are anthropologenic. Then search through the sample with a microscope. If you find any promising candidates, have them analyzed at a local university or any lab. Good luck!
Working...
X