Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on this odd crystal/ calcite fossil???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this odd crystal/ calcite fossil???

Click image for larger version

Name:	B84D767F-06DE-4571-AB71-FA239AA97E5D.png
Views:	219
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	388630
    SE ARKANSAS

I like it and have quite a few similar that I find in the creek and up top. Sorry but I know nothing about what they are or how they where formed.

Comment

Yahoo! Research project!
      I’m thinking sponge, coz they “mound-up” in a brain-shape when fossilized, so that’s where I’ll start.... (but, gotta remember, my brain now looks like your fossil!)

How big is it? ....coz they’re some other mounding-up fossils, but they are generally smallish. Also, where found, one kinda like it found Spain; another kinda like it found Egypt. You been world-trekking?
      Last edited by Cecilia; 08-31-2019, 11:05 AM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E628C64E-712F-4C0B-8D99-5E2A7CC63A03.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	388812
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Very unusual . Water formation involved in that one .
          Almost looks like coral ( in form ) but you can see all the crystals/ minerals
          very cool

Comment

Wild ID but looks like a hunk of cave onyx I have.
            SE IA

Comment

Geez. This is tough. My best thinking today is three different possibilities, and none makes me feel like I’ve contributed. Will send you pics so you can compare.
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I believe I found where this piece originated from and what it is! I was looking for something else on google images when serendipity occurred. This is a druzy Quartz chalcedony formed on agate from a matrix of fossil coral located in Missouri. Not sure when it made its way down here to southern Arkansas but it matches exactly!
                SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I came across Druzy references, too. So that’s must be it, if two researchers both found druzy and chalcedony combo! Ah, if could only solve all Qs with fun research...Post a pic from your lesson. And, I think that was synchronicity more than serendipity!
              Working...
              X