Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_190456.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	395927 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_190431.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	395929 Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_185429.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	395923 Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_185453.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	395924 Hello all....found this Saturday.....I believe to be obsidian....would have been nice to find a point made out of this material...to my knowledge this is a rare find in my area of nw tn....but could be wrong....in the house this appears to be black....but when I found this in sunlight it had some greenish hues to it in several places....thoughts would be appreciated for those with strong geology knowledge
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Benji; 10-06-2019, 07:07 PM.
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Not sure, put bright light behind it, check for translucency , take a pic. We will better able to tell...High grade stuff !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Lindenmeier....I have held this up to bright light and there is hardly any translucency to this other than small amount on thinnest part....I tried to take some pics showing some of the green sheen

Hey lindenmeier....I held this up against a light and there is hardly any translucency except for a small amount next to the thinnest part of this material...I tried my best to take a pic of the greenish sheen that this cast off of it Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_195309.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	395934 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_195358.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	395935 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_195329.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	395936
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t call it, we got to wait on the other members. I’d brought it home !

That would be slag from an ore of some kind. I find that all the time in my creeks.. It is mostly black, but there could be blues and greens mixed in. I've found several pieces that have a purple translucency when held up to light.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It is slag KP knows his stuff comes in many colors knapps pretty good to if it’s solid. I find it in many colors but white seems to be the most I find.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Benji
        Benji commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks surfacehunter....I looked slag up...had too...was unfamiliar with the term...I showed it to my superior at work....I ended giving it to her as she loved the piece...I thought I had a nice piece of uncommon obsidian for my area.

Before I found out what the stuff looked like I thought I had found a beautiful knife. It was white with blue swirls in it. It fractured just like a artifact
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Slag such unattractive word.....
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Better than Slug
      Working...
      X