More petrified wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More petrified wood?

Did I find some more petrified wood here? What do you all think?
    Rock #1:

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...31c1a5ba66.jpg not found

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...f532b86343.jpg not found

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...96d0ebcf0e.jpg not found

Rock #2:

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...15bac62a56.jpg not found

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...d2e743c019.jpg not found

Not sure if pertrified wood, looks to me to be a silt stone.
    Jack

Comment

Hey Adriel..You know I can see how your cool rocks might fool you with the layers running thru them..Heres a big ole chunk I found on My hundred acres here in texas..From what i understand Petrified Palmwood is the most highly sought after..Its supposily gots spots..

Comment

Here are two pieces of petrified wood that I found on the Terlinguia Ranch, 3 miles in at Gate 2. We collected about 200 lbs that day in an area about 50 ft x 100 ft.

Comment

wow guys thanks for the pictures.     I am going to say that while the second rock I posted might be layered, I am still not convinced that the first one is not petrified...it doesn't look like layers...it looks like striped indentations and the coloring from the top bleeds into the side...
          I could be wrong of course but if this is not petrified something...something unnatural happened to this rock. (the first)  :laugh:

Comment

Hi Adriel. Interesting post. I have always loved petrified wood. I am lucky to live in a area that is in the middle of tons of the stuff. We have logs and wood scattered on most of our hills. Indians used lots of it to form artifacts. Ours is full of agate of different colors and easy to tell with all the colors. Vantage WA. just a few miles away there is a state park full of wood. Interesting to see if you ever get out here. You can find the site on line under Vantage Washington petrified wood. I have a garden full of the stuff but it's under a foot of snow so can't post photo's for you. I have seen wood in Arizona by Flagstaff and it looks like ours. Most of what I have seen has many colors mixed in. Like the photo's already posted. Easy to tell when you get used to seeing it. I have a small pt.wood root that I polished. Will try to find it and post a photo. OK thanks for the fun post.  Ron

Comment

Pretty cool ron..Do you know whats the deal with palm wood?

Comment

Pullenrock; Don't know about palm wood. Have never heard of it up here. I know we can find fossel palm nuts in the mountains but don't think any wood. Never heard of it anyway. The st park has a list of all the wood types found here. Ginko is the rarest. Most of the wood here is regular trees native to our area even now. Several different layers in the lava flows and some are swamp type trees. Just not up on this a lot. Anyway here is the root I polished. Came off a mountain down on the Columbia where the Indians had a quarry.

Comment

OK I finely got a chance to head down to the river and get some photos of some logs for you guys. These are what our Indians used to make some of the neatest looking artifacts. These are all log sections and you can see the different colors of stone that the Indians would work out of the log. Last photo the darn pesky wildlife kept running by so I did not get anymore.

Comment

I love it. LMAO on the Dino running by. Great pictures.

Comment

its wood look at the grain

Comment

dinosaurs didnt humans ride them? I mean thats what the creation museum says... yeah the earth is only 6,000 years old huh and I guess carl sagan was a crackpot.... who ended the cold war, sorry for the rant I am smack dab in the middle of the conservative belt I just wish people would open their eyes more often!!!! I love artifacts and fossils and science fact, I always feel like petrified wood is like natures way of preserving the past and recycling  it for the future collectors~
                        North Carolina

Comment

wait...humans didn't ride dinosaurs? ...  :lol:

Comment

Sure they did!  Had saddles and everything.  My g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandaddy told me so.
                            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                            X