Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundations?

ETA:Video link.

Not sure if this is the right forum, move if it ain't.
    While wandering a bottom in the hunt club I've belonged to off-n-on for over 20 years, I tripped over these formations that I had never seen before. Dunno if they're natural or man-made. Dunno what anybody would do with these but that's somewhat irrelevant. There were several of them up this spring fed creek. They sure look man-made to me but no clue as to what purpose they could serve. The area was well used by both NA's and early Americans.
    Anybody got an idea? Got a few more pics if it may help. Thanks.. d:^)

Walk with me. This partial video shows some stone structures I came across while in the woods following a spring fed creek at my club. Located between Ellerb...
    Last edited by HawgBonz; 01-07-2020, 08:37 PM. Reason: Added video
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

I'd agree that those are stacked walls - probably take a lot more investigation as to why. Homesteading, or mining perhaps: any detectorist in your club?
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• HawgBonz
      HawgBonz commented
      Editing a comment
      None that I know of. Unless Momma wasn't yankin my chain earlier this year. Hehehe. d;^)

That's an old looking wall HawgBonz it looks like the place I dream about detecting would be cool to research history of deeds and such. You should borrow a detector it's interesting to put a personal name with artifact's your finding. I spend some time down your way you could always borrow mine. Hopefully someone will have a better idea of what it was for you.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Probably old home sites. Unless of course you had a lot of moonshine out your way cause I see it's near water
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        Lots of moonshine if the stories are correct. A famous moonshining family was in here. Seems like it'd be a tough choice of location for a homesite. But close water would mebbe be a plus. Not familiar enough with this particular creek to know how seasonal it is.
        Last edited by HawgBonz; 12-24-2019, 02:09 PM. Reason: Removed family name for privacy reasons.

Yeah good find man . It’s an early American homestead to
      me and I think you guys are on to somthing with the moonshine .
      very cool like the creek shot !
      Bet your on HuntWise

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
        very cool like the creek shot !
        It's a beautiful spring fed creek. Could prolly drink straight from it prior to the pig infestation.
        This is from a little bit upstream. d:^)

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Point alert !!!! Creeks are are beautiful .
          That place I’m spring is probably so green and the rains makes waterfalls right ?

• HawgBonz
          HawgBonz commented
          Editing a comment
          Should be very nice in the spring. A few more good rains to wash out the fall leftovers would help a good bit! d:^)

There's artifacts in them there creeks sir!
        North Carolina

Comment

• HawgBonz
          HawgBonz commented
          Editing a comment
          Might give it a once over when the leaves get washed out with a good rain here in the post season. Can't say that I've had much luck at all in the water around here.

Interesting man made. There’s lots of rock foundations of homes and they mostly had basements like those in new Hampshire. Seems like too inaccessible and steep for a homesite judging by your map even for early pioneers would have been very difficult to cut a road if it’s as steep as it looks. It looks like some sort of retaining wall or foundation. Civil war rocks walls defensive positions who knows? Dectect it then you know unless was native Americans

Comment

• HawgBonz
          HawgBonz commented
          Editing a comment
          Mebbe I'll get some help with that detecting here before long. It looks very inconvenient for a homesite outside of the access to water. I'll be looking around these a bit more in depth just after deer season. One thing I did notice was that there are several different pathways into the immediate area as opposed to the usual single fire lane type setup. d:^)

• PointHound
          PointHound commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the same thing. From the pictures looks a little steep and kind of like a bottom. Probably a home site nearby though. Would have liked to come across it.

Could’ve been an area that was dug out and cleaned up for their water supply For homesteaders . Also be a good place for the women to fill their tubs and get a good scrub on a wash board on the flattened area , it would be quite a chore hauling water up a hill. Wherever they dumped the water out is where you will find any coins.y grandfather directed my dad to an area where the women did the clothes and sure enough found coins where they dumped the water out I remember him saying a . Barber dime and not sure what else there was . If that’s the case on top of the ridge or flat spot might have been some home sites. The old timers always had a place they threw the trash old bottles ect usually in a draw or off a slope near the house.

Comment

On upstream from the one marked there was a wall with a large flat area atop of it. There's no tellin what this place was used for. It's on the other side of the club from where the local family graveyard is. About 4.5 miles. Seems like a hike to do laundry with several creeks on the same side.
          I did find this in a creek nearby to the old homeplace of the moonshine family. d:^)

Comment

• SGT.Digger
            SGT.Digger commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like it’s cast iron part of an old potbelly stove maybe?

• HawgBonz
            HawgBonz commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't have a clue. I thought it looked like a port window from a boat, but that doesn't make much sense in that location. Dunno if the open ID is for glass or somethin else. d:^)

I like the detecting idea . It does yield the proof I bet you are looking for . Pretty interesting Hawgs

Comment

Just beware of wells out there if it's a old home site. Sometimes they cover them up but if it's a old fix the ground might give way.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
              Just beware of wells out there if it's a old home site. Sometimes they cover them up but if it's a old fix the ground might give way.
              We've got at least one old homesite on the club that has a coupla wells to watch out for. This is the only one I know of that's still standing. One of the departed members threw some tin over them at one time. So the rule is if ya hear metal under foot then back away. d:^)

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181223_090151~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	412570 Hey hawg ..every yard here in SW Connecticut had one of these for garbage in mid 1900s....I know it prolly ain't it but it reminded me of the ring they put in cement. Just in regard to ur pic of iron rimg
                Last edited by redrocks; 12-28-2019, 11:30 AM.
                SW Connecticut

Comment

• HawgBonz
                  HawgBonz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Danged iffit don't look very similar!
                  Judging from some of the homesites, I think they just tossed most of their "debitage" off the nearest hillside. d;^)

Cool looking site!

It looks kind of like the foundation of an old bridge? It could also be the remains of an old gold mill? You should find the remains of one or more mill ponds up stream if that’s what it is.

Von
                Last edited by Von; 12-29-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X