Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteors or just rocks?

Hi,

I am new to the site and wanted to know if anyone could help me figure out if these are meteors or rocks. If they are just rocks, can you tell me what type? I appreciate any and all info!

Thanks!

Item 1: Very heavy, magnetic, and has green stone one two sides

Item 2: Very heavy, magnetic and solid. Small red spot on one side.

Item 3: Heavy for its size, green crystallization inside. Very smooth and black on the outside

Item 4:Heavy for its size, was told on another forum that it could be a meteor. I Still think it was used as a native american tool because of the finger markings and how it fits into your palm perfectly.

So what state are you in for people to help you. I like the green one but don't have any opinions on them. I just don't know materials that well. Welcome to the site
    NW Georgia,

Comment

My first thought is jade with magnetite. Could be a serpentine type but I would take it to have it checked because it could be a gem. I’m no expert on meteors but the chances of finding one is not in your favor and there are a lot of chances in finding crazy earth rocks. It’s cool regardless I would have picked it up.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Only 3 and 7 look roughly like meteorites but would not say they were. 3 has some flow and 7 is a cone shape that might be a re-entry formed shape. Have several with that melt pattern but my thought is they are natural.
        SE IA

Comment

Hi Jessica, and welcome to the forum.

Please see some comments I made at the thread below. Although I was commenting on the chondrite class of meteorite (and said that the comments are not to be regarded as universally applicable for all meteorite types) they are relevant to your rocks. Although those are NOT meteorites, the general description and appearance would also only be a fit for the chondrite class.

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...i-folsom/page2

Th greenish material you can see will almost certainly be olivine and it's a common accessory material in volcanic rocks, notably basalts. So I would think what you have are specimens of olivine basalts. Earth rocks. Basalts can also be rich enough in iron to have some attraction to a magnet.

Incidentally, we refer to rocks from space as meteorites if they manage to travel through our atmosphere and reach the ground (or plop into water). Until then, and for those which don't make it to the ground, we call them meteors.

What you perceive as "finger marks" and the fit to your hand is just coincidental. No Native American tools or artefacts there I'm afraid.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank you for all of the information. I am located in New Jersey for those who asked.

Comment

Like the black one and like Painshill said olivine but look for those nice little gems inside .

Comment

Working...
              X