What kind of rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of rock?

I posted these as a creek hunt find a few days back hoping somebody might help me id them.

That didn't happen, so I'm reposting in this section.

I know the rock-hounds will come through for me....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_095004.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	422208

Name:	20200130_095011.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	422209

Name:	20200130_095031.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	422210

Name:	20200130_095044.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	422211

Name:	20200130_095125.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	422212

California

I bet that it's shell in origin. Pic one looks a little like slag glass. Something like that I would tap against my teeth which can actually tell a lot.!
    North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by utilized flake View Post
      I bet that it's shell in origin. Pic one looks a little like slag glass. Something like that I would tap against my teeth which can actually tell a lot.!
      I don't think they were ever shells.

The tooth-tap test reveals an enamel-like surface but no glass chink.

I have found rocks that are only partially enveloped by this 'glaze' effect. They seem like granite type grey rocks.

These ones are fully coated though the larger piece seems to have a less developed lustre in the lateral surface and more the edges.

That's a bit odd.

The trick would be to break one and see if the inside matches the outside. I can't bring myself to do that though.

Here's another one I found a while back. It's shape almost suggested an artifact but I came to understand it's just a very pretty rock.

Name:	20190409_MysteryA.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	422247

Name:	20190409_MysteryB.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	422248

California

Comment

The green reminds me of jade but idk if it is. Do you have opal there Tom? Maybe Johnny will put some in his tumble machine for you to see what they look like afterwards. Probably make some nice jewelry.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
          The green reminds me of jade but idk if it is. Do you have opal there Tom? Maybe Johnny will put some in his tumble machine for you to see what they look like afterwards. Probably make some nice jewelry.
          I think you are right, SH.

Not jade exactly, but Nephrite. Or possibly a form of Serpentine. Those are the closest matches I can find.

Typical of subduction zones and often found in creek beds, in a general sense, fits the facts .
          California

Comment

Working...
          X