Help IDing some creek rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help IDing some creek rocks

These rocks were all found and collected in a section of creek with lots of sand bars on my family land. I live in the Piedmont of NC. I selectively picked these rocks up in an area I find artifacts too. Theres a lot of quartz/quartzite around and even found a large quartz crystal on the property stuck oddly in a spring hole once. I want to get a better understanding of what all kinds of rocks this creek can turn up there. Any help IDing some of these would be really appreciated.
    Attached Files

I’m always curious about a banded stone. Then the red/brown rock is rare to find but I have stashed back in my old collection larger chunks of this reddish material. I’m wondering if it could be used as a lithic material.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_74612.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	422239 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_74613.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	422240

Name:	image_74614.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	422241
    Last edited by CMD; 02-07-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      After uploading your photos, pick a size, I picked "full size" and then put your cursor where you want the photos to appear. Then click on the size you want the uploaded image to appear. This saves everyone from clicking on your photos, leaving the page, then hitting a back button to return to the top of the page, and having to scroll down again.
      Simply insert the photos to begin with, rather them leaving them as attached files.

I think one of these is granite and I don’t know about the other two. That long one reminds me of a chisel. The last one is super thin but it’s not easy to break. I did a strength test by hand it’s still in one piece. You can say I’ve skipped many of these that are flat like that there in the creek. These are the best rocks to skip. I have differentiated between some rocks that are similar to this there but they break easily by hand and I know it’s a sandstone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Taterman421; 02-06-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

All natural rocks but I have no idea on the types. Could be a type of sediment seeing you found them in the creek.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

This sounds like a job for Sugaree, he'll know what those are. They look like Ryolite to me.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Taterman the best thing to do is to go to deq.nc.gov This site provided by the state has a section on how to get rocks and minerals identified. You can can send off samples and get them identified for free I believe all you have to do is pay shipping. This way you know the answer is 100% correct. It is a great resource. You can also email pictures but to be sure the answer is correct I would send them off.
          Last edited by Sugaree; 02-07-2020, 08:16 AM.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Name:	IMG_6215.PNG
Views:	124
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	422302
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Working...
            X