Crazy rock with fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy rock with fossil

Found this crazy thing in the creek bed. What would you call this. Branch county Michigan.
    Attached Files

Looks like garnets but I'm not from your area.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Stick96
      Stick96 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I’m not for sure either. It looks like a pudding stone but I’ve never seen one that’s red. It has a lot of red jasper in it. The fossil looks like a spine. Also my girlfriends step dad put a black light on it and one of the rocks glowed and then it had orange and purple sparkles on it.

Nice, that fossil top center, looks like the little rays that swim in our spring fed rivers, it even has the little eyes and barb....
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      I see what u mean hal about ray...kinda resembles a horseshoe crab to me

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah , it could go either way, t didn’t really remember if them
      Little rays had barbs...

Is there anyway to figure out exactly what type of fossil it is?

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe Painshill will see it, I’m betting he’d figure it out !

Well hopefully he does. I’ve never found a fossil before to be honest. Heck I didn’t even know if was there until my girlfriend’s step dad about jumped out of his pants after he noticed it.(he’s big into rocks, cuts them to look inside for whatever reason) also in Michigan we have pudding stones which are white with numerous other rocks grown into them never have I seen one red.

Comment

Alien egg for sure.....😉 that thing is wicked looking...id been scared to pick it up.....not sure what it is but cool find.....thanks for sharing
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

To be honest, I'm not seeing a fossil here. It's pretty clear that this is a brecciated rock (ie broken fragments of other rocks which have become cemented together) and it may be a brecciated jasper. It's of course possible for the fragments in a breccia to be from fossil-bearing rocks and fragments of fossilised wood aren't uncommon in brecciated jasper... but I don't see anything I can specifically identify.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
        X