ID:	465697 Click image for larger version

Name:	513BF3F9-DC1B-407D-99A6-C89519D5E5A1.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	465698 Click image for larger version

Name:	09B8C1E0-907A-4556-BE0F-9DEC284D967E.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	465699 Found this a number of years back. While excavating for a retaining wall on the sandy shore of lake Minnetonka up in Minnesota. It’s heavy for its size and was green when I found it.....thoughts?......✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

looks like a copper nugget
    Wyoming

Comment

I'd say copper as well. That's a big neat piece!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

There are copper mines up by you I believe, would suggest it's possible that it's a nugget. If you weren't afraid of changing the look, you can rub vinegar with a cotton cloth on one spot. If it shines up to a red "copper" color I would say yes. If it doesn't shine up so well and looks more goldish yellow, it might be a brass alloy. Any manufacturing near the spot?
        Central Ohio

Comment

One sure way of determining the metal composition is to use a file. Pick an out of the way that (unobtrusive spot) and drive a file back and forth a couple times times. Copper will show red whereas brass will show yellow
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Pretty neat whatever it is.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I wouldn't do anything to that. it's a large natural copper nugget. These are placer nuggets, transported to the area by glacial drift. These are the nuggets the people from the Old Copper Culture found and hammered into tools and weapons. Pretty neat to find a copper nugget in it's raw form.
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Called float copper due to being carried by the glaciers and dropped. That might even have some silver in it.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• pkfrey
                  pkfrey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, That's it! I am officially announcing senility!!! I was thinking of float, but said placer instead. Don't listen to me anymore. Officially Senile, June 29, 2019 !!

Yup, looks like float copper. Isle Royale in Lake Superior and surrounding areas are one of the few places where essentially pure (or with Silver) copper is found in natural form. Glaciers plowed through there and spread it around.

From there it was carried by Native Americans and heavily used in the Archaic and late Woodland/Mississippian times. Yours might have been carried around, but if it hasn't been hammered on it's hard to tell.
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice Copper nugget, a real showpiece, if ya scratch it you’ll regret it...
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

Beautiful copper nugget. The copper runs the full length of the Keweenaw Peninsula and yes all the way out to Isle Royale. Tons of this native copper was carried into Minnesota in ancient times.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Cool!
                      SW Connecticut

Comment

I just thought you might like to see a picture of an undisturbed vein of native copper.
                        This vein is on Washington Island in the Isle Royale National Park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Native Copper Vein.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	465868
                        Michigan Yooper

Comment

The volcanics that produced this Native Copper is associated with the midcontinent rift and occurred a little over a billion years ago. Yes billion with a B.
                          Michigan Yooper

Comment

• UpNorth
                            UpNorth commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you have any interest in this piece ...get a hold of me👍

• Ron Kelley
                            Ron Kelley commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks, I sent you a PM.
                        Working...
                        X