Strange rock n steel structure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange rock n steel structure.

Hey folks, I'm back inna woods. Got to wandering last week and found this lil weirdie sitting right next to the creek bed about 2 or 300 yards below the springhead.
    Can't be positive till I get back out there with a magnet, but I think the uprights are steel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StructureBefore.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	495488
    I dug out the piece that was under the tree and found a base piece of what appears to be an old jug.
    There were also pieces of what looked to be steel strapping in the mix.

Name:	StructureAfter.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	495490

This pic is from up on the rock formation above that lil structure.

Name:	StructureLocation.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	495491

This is the rock formation that the structure is just below.

Name:	FutCblACrock.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	495493

And FWIW, this is on the other side of the hill and possibly a lil lower elevation.
    I'm thinkin the two are connected somehow. This is old Cagle country so moonshine was prevalent.
    As I understand their homestead was right in this vicinity as well.

Name:	StructurePipe.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	495492
    Whatchyathink? d:^)
    Attached Files
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Circle of rocks looks like someone made an old camp fire. the pieces might be iron not steel. A few things I can imagine is someone used the iron to prop up a cook pot , a grill or maybe even a still. Perhaps a still due to the close proximity to the sweet spring water. I also see metal bands back behind the rocks maybe it was an old barrel they kept the whiskey in LOL. Cool pictures
    Last edited by Hoss; 10-12-2020, 12:46 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Looks like a good place to sink a couple of tests holes.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• HawgBonz
        HawgBonz commented
        Editing a comment
        Test holes? Elaborate, please. d:^)

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Try to figure out possible artifact hot spots, dig a two foot wide hole two feet deep, if you find any sign of artifacts, enlarge the hole and follow the direction in which there goin...Back fill all holes..I would start around that spring on the high ground.

Cool find, I like the kentucky clear theory.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

I'm thinkin I'll be back there to investigate s'more once I get the freezer back to reasonably full again. Will definitely go up the hill to see where or what happens with that drainage pipe. That was no small undertaking in a time before power equipment so I hafta think it had a real purpose.
        Where's Abe Sapien when ya need him? Hehehe. d;^)

Comment

Where the heck have you been wandering Hawg ?
          it’s hunting season so I guess you will be back out there as I will next month .
          Cant wait to see your finds you always have some fun story to go along with it all .

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
            Where the heck have you been wandering Hawg ?
            it’s hunting season so I guess you will be back out there as I will next month .
            Cant wait to see your finds you always have some fun story to go along with it all .
            Been hangin around the house gettin it ready for the in-laws ta move in with us. He's got terminal cancer and a lil early dementia so Momma needs some help. Had contractors in n out all summer so I didn't get down to the club too much ta piddle with any rock flippin. But everything's settled now and the season is upon us so here we go..
            ..The hunt club always amazes me. I've been a member of it off n on for ~20 years and I'm still finding places I didn't know existed there. d:^)

Comment

Working...
            X