ID:	522401 Click image for larger version

Name:	A8F4988F-37DD-41FF-B339-10AD2A3CDCE7.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	522402 Click image for larger version

Name:	F47BE64F-6BC2-4ABC-B05B-2ED1CFC4D124.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	522403 Was field hunting along creek in East Tennessee . Found with other artifacts. It’s very heavy for its size. I’m thinking it has iron content but a magnet doesn’t stick. I need to get my computer magnets 🧲 and dangle from a string. Anyone have an idea. I know there’s iron ores found in the area and was mined years ago.

Hematite?
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Yep I think hematite, too....but should still exhibit a very weak magnetic force...try it over a pin on a plate....
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• SGT.Digger
        SGT.Digger commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried it on needle and didn’t work unless it was stainless steel maybe 🤔 should have checked needle with a magnet 🧲 first

Yep, sure looks like hematite (find plenty of that and quartz here). Not magnetic. Easy for-sure test: should make clear reddish mark, even on paper.

This from geology.com:
      “Hematite is not magnetic and should not respond to a common magnet. However, many specimens of hematite contain enough magnetite that they are attracted to a common magnet.
      Uses: The most important ore of iron. Pigment, ...
      Diagnostic Properties: Red streak, specific gra...
      Chemical Classification: Oxide
      Chemical Composition: Fe2O3
      Hematite: A primary ore of iron and a pigment mineral
      Last edited by Cecilia; 01-06-2021, 09:56 PM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Mine does not rub red . I tried it on paper already but maybe 🤔 mine is hardened beyond leaving marks ?

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have piece ceramic tile? Try mark unfinished side; if doesn’t streak, it ain’t hematite.

If you rub it on the inside of your toilet cover i bet it will rub red. Paper isn't grainy enough
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• SGT.Digger
          SGT.Digger commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t want to rub on inside of toilet I tried on the top but surface was to smooth to leave any marks but the rough tile floor did the trick and I got red !! Thanks C

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          What!? Toilet cover inside!? First new thing learned 2021! Absolutely love it!!

Got it figured out thanks for the help . Also found the end all read up on
        Hemitite artifacts . https://scienceviews.com/ebooks/pdf/...implements.pdf

Comment

Working...
        X