Awesome Rock 🪨 Antediluvian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Rock 🪨 Antediluvian?

Click image for larger version  Name:	F3098886-7637-4BDD-8650-F013DE619B65.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	523201 Click image for larger version  Name:	09EDD2F7-BD1B-4BB2-B633-7950F25BF491.jpeg Views:	23 Size:	160.4 KB ID:	523200 A neighbor of mine has found some interesting finds over the years and pulled this out of a quarry in East Tennessee 40’ down. He thinks it’s from before the flood and was deposited in the sediments. Anyone have any idea what this is ? I believe in the biblical flood but not sold on this being man made it is very peculiar though . He says it’s iron . It’s about 14”x8-9”
    Last edited by SGT.Digger; 01-07-2021, 10:55 PM.

Alright Sarge, that is one interesting stone. It really looks man made. Too many angles and shapes to be natural. But how in the world did it get 40 feet down in a quarry? So in my earlier life I worked in a Limestone strip mine! 18 years digging a gigantic whole in the ground. Do you know just what kind of quarry it is from? It kooks Mesoamerican. I'm probably way off base on this. Just saying what I'm thinking. Do you want to get rid of it. LOL. If it's natural, it's the most intriguing rock I've ever seen. I just can't stop looking at it. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• SGT.Digger
      SGT.Digger commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s in a sandstone matrix. The quarry is sandstone. I asked a long time quarry dude who’s been around it his whole life and he says the coal or fossil layers are deeper then where they are digging. I’m a fossil guy so was really disappointed when I heard that because I would be in the quarry all the time. I don’t know what mineral can make a four sided shaped and circles too. He’s had it for years and said it used to look better pieces has fallen off/ broke off . He’s in his 90’s

Heck, if this real, then Noah not even twinkle in God’s eye when He made it! This from Petit Jean State Park In Arkansas. Google it, coz this pic pales in comparison to some of formations there made when world was new(er)

But, the fact old, old, old, and so breathtaking, mind-bending, extensive, that been established public park longtime, gives me pause. Qs re quarry, removal, time, ......and many more...popping in this lil’brain
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• SGT.Digger
      SGT.Digger commented
      Editing a comment
      He found it in Tennessee forgot to add that detail but did an edit. It’s very similar to the Park your talking about including some of the fossils around here and the turtle 🐢 rocks they have there .

See something new everyday around here. That's amazing.
    California

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	188D78A6-8AAF-4EAE-93DD-E4E22C21AA92.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	523264 I believe sister CC is on to something but its like dejavu because of the similarities . This areas geology is similar to that of the Park & shares not only the same fossils ( that I’ve found pics attached ) but the “ carpet rock” and the “turtle rocks” that I call alligator backs . I’ll Have to get a pic of the alligator back rocks when I get a chance because I can’t find them on my phone I have hundreds and hundreds of pics to weed through . Here’s a link to the park https://bluemarbleearth.wordpress.com/tag/carpet-rocks/

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a fossil Lepidodendron bark impression. Upper Carboniferous in age....

Each square is different, that puts a halt to the theory of a one type fossil thing, at least that’s what I would think..you said it was iron,?
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• SGT.Digger
        SGT.Digger commented
        Editing a comment
        He said it was either magnetic 🧲 or a magnet would stick to it . I think he said was iron but could be wrong . I was enjoying it too much I guess

Okie Dokie, here’s one phenomenal rock that was once tiny part of much bigger formation now under lake West Virginia. US Corp Engineers “salvaged” this piece :

Here’s article debating creation by all usual suspects:
      Waffle Rock is a peculiar rock located in West Virginia, USA. The jury is still out on the origins of the unusual pattern marking the boulder. Huge lizards, erosion, Native American artwork, and aliens have all been proposed.

West Virginia, like Arkansas, has been absolutely gifted with abundance of lithic miracles. Not only location “mysterious waffle rock”, but has “honeycombs” all along scenic routes:
      ​ ​​​​​​​
      Very nice article:
      David Sibray explores strangely shaped boulders along the Highland Scenic Highway near Marlinton, W.Va.

Aren’t we fortunate to live on this incredible Earth? We will never run out of Wonders.....
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Admittedly I don't know what this rock is, but I'm going to go against popular opinion and say it seems natural to me. Even though I couldn't find an exact match, it appears to be mud bubbles that were compressed and reformed repeatedly. I included a few pics where fossilized bubbles show a hint of a square shape surrounding a round one. If enough round shapes are squeezed into a space, they will start to "square off". Look at soap bubbles closely sometime. The ones in the middle have right angled sides.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Once again, then, opinion unpopular, coz absolutely voting natural!
          Last edited by Cecilia; 01-08-2021, 04:02 PM.

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          You always provide good info CC. Not sure exactly what the stone is but as you were suggesting, nature creates some amazing shapes. Definitely seems like a flowing sediment that repeatedly liquefied/hardened. But I could be wrong, just guessing.

I must agree with all of you. GOD was having a very good time when he made these kinds of thing. I bet he said to himself " Waite till I see them trying to explain this thing LOL"" Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

A geologic natural occuring rock. it is referred to as "carpet rock. " https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/m...pet-rock-7875/

Mother earth is one fantastic artist . That is a cool specimen.
          Last edited by Hoss; 01-09-2021, 12:45 PM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Not sure sand bubbles but guess it could C . What’s a pickle to me is that the bottom of the specimen is solid no cracks or anything else showing. It’s a head scratcher. I will get another pic of the bottom. I’ll take a pic of the quarry on Sunday . I tried finding out where carpet rock occurs anywhere else in the US or world but have come up empty seems like Arkansas is the only one . In Arkansas it’s quartz that is coming up in the sandstone this specimen is of an iron nature. I’ll take my computer magnets next time I go to check for ferrous material maybe my metal detector too

Comment

Iron ore could be doing what the quartz did in AR. I am not a geologist but minerals replacing salt water eons ago can form some strange looking phenomenon. Look at the waffle rock up in Virginia. Pretty sure I read that was sandstone with iron minerals.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Rocktown Pigeon MT down in GA has some strange looking geology as well. That place looks more like the turtle rocks . However if you look close at some of the pictures you see the same layering as you do in the carpet rocks.

Comment

I’m 100% sure that what you have shown are natural features in which the hand of man played no part.

The geometric patterns fall within the collective name of ‘Liesegang’ features. You’ll find them as diagenetic structures from mineral precipitation in many sedimentary rocks… usually where mineral-rich water (especially iron-rich) has been percolating through lithified sand or silt sediments. Most usually they’re concentric ring-like structures, but they also occur as nested squares, crazy-paving like meshworks, bands, and various combinations of the above.

As Hoss pointed out, when they occur in large flat expanses with a repeating pattern they’re often referred to as ‘carpet rock’. They’re not always in expanses like that though and, because the precipitated cement that holds them together may subsequently weather faster or slower than the host rock, they also occur as step-like 3D features. Some examples:

Name:	Liesegang 1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	523727

Name:	Liesegang 2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	523728

Name:	Liesegang 3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	523729

The problem with convincing people that these things are natural is that they often say things like: “but I can’t find a picture that looks exactly like mine”. Therein lies a problem that nature isn’t accommodating enough to follow exactly the same formation route each time. The resultant shapes have a myriad of different forms, but are nevertheless created by essentially the same processes.

Charlie is correct that the scale-like impressions are from the bark of extinct Lepidodendron trees (also known as ‘scale trees’) like this:

Name:	Lepidodendron.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	523730

Those are negative impressions as casts, rather than being part of the trees themselves and they often occur together in a variety of sizes from mixed debris… both because there were multiple species with different forms that shared the same habitats, and because of differences in anatomy of the portions of the plants that had these scale patterns. Although generally they were ‘coal forest’ flora which thrived during the Carboniferous Period around 360 million years ago, they were still going strong in the Late Permian around 200 million years ago.
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• SGT.Digger
                    SGT.Digger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good pics . Good info , THANKYOU

Name:	86F1A8EE-34DA-4902-B591-5B92A4BC8973.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	525087Click image for larger version

Name:	A22C09A2-ECC6-4D95-AD2C-5A1FFA0214D4.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	525086Click image for larger version

Name:	9E1C7C89-C60E-49AE-BBBC-E1724F064E82.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	525085Click image for larger version

Name:	99F155C3-36A7-4320-97CE-7E277239C478.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	525084Click image for larger version

Name:	AC8C71B5-BBF9-4191-96A2-A7CDEF8878AF.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	525083 Here’s a few more pictures of the specimen. I have a good picture of sides and bottom!!

Comment

Working...
                  X