Gorgeous colored scraper ID and a geology reference request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorgeous colored scraper ID and a geology reference request

I was rather shocked at the colors when washing off this scraper. I have outcrops of granite, basalt, sandstone, quartzite, and quartz, so A LOT of gray, brown, and white. Any ideas on the material? I included another chunk of it-wet and dry to help ID it.

And any suggestions for a good geology/lithic material reference book? Cecilia? Looking for a book with many pictures. Gaining lithic knowledge on the internet is so tedious. I’ve been compiling some of my own reference materials with weathering, patina, and freshly broken, but a book would be so much easier.

Pretty stone but it's not a scraper. Wrong shape and wrong material.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Bretton
      Bretton commented
      Editing a comment
      I assumed it so because it is worn smooth on that rounded edge and the other edges sharp. Oh well. Still pretty. Can you share what material it is?

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Bretton, It looks like a granite. I see some beautiful feldspars. The stone is not homogeneous and that is why it won't flake.

• Bretton
      Bretton commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx. The feldspars are the pink and white colors? It is so much waxier than any of the granite I have seen and it also looks totally different when it is dry (last photo). Kinda chalky looking, but smooth feel. It looked like it was hit a few times in order to get the different facets, so I kept it.

I agree with Ron. Nice looking stone but not a scraper.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Bretton, There is a lot of good information on lithic material in our info center. This section is still growing as more info is added. Here is the link:
      https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...materials-gc71
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks! I didn’t even know about that section! Would still like a good ole book though! Kinda old school that way.

Comment

Working...
        X