Making Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Glass

This is the result of lightning striking a tree, traveling down the roots and turning the sand into glass..thanks for lookin.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	013CEEC0-ACF5-47CC-B628-2CF38690D582.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	568465Click image for larger version

Name:	AEA36EE6-F15D-4835-ABC7-91F0E1B197C3.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	568466Click image for larger version

Name:	3DF2A0BF-77FD-4395-85EC-ACF0B15F6794.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	568467
    Floridaboy.

Cool
    Last edited by Bullheadtee; 07-10-2021, 09:33 AM.
    New Jersey

Comment

That's crazy Hal! Makes me wonder if having your toes buried in the sand during a lightning strike would leave a similar result.
      South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops, something more to worry about, Ha, hilarious.. you funny Caleb.

Nice Hal
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Hey Hal, That is a nice one.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ron, most were very small, was happy to get it, was stretched out along a 3’ area, that must’ve been a heck of a strike.

That’s awesome . I always want to go out a metal stake in the sand way away from the house and see what happens .
        What’s that movie where the guy did that before a storm
        on the beach .
        Very cool Hal

Comment

Pretty cool Hal. I was standing under a tree today during a thunderstorm. I saw a chipmunk run to it so I followed. I figured he knew the safest spot lol
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s funny, maybe like you say animals know things we don’t, we’re too civilized

Interesting
          South Dakota

Comment

When I was a teenager I was outside as a storm cam rolling in. Lightening struck a tree a few hundred yards from the house before a rain drop hit the ground where I was at. I felt a mild shock from that lightening strike a few hundred yards away, it blew out multiple electronics in the house that were not on a power strip, and a few neighbors who lived hundreds of yards further away also lost some electronics to it. I can't even imagine how much energy that would have taken to achieve what I experienced. It deserves a lot of respect.

It is amazing to see what that split second jolt of energy did to some silica grains near that tree. I wonder what that energy would have done to a chipmunk in the tree or some unsuspecting Surface Hunter under it...

I am curious if you found that glass piece and have a story that goes with it Hal?

I like it and thanks for sharing
            Dan
            South Central Minnesota

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              I commented in Ron’s post and the story in my last post is where I found it, and no I wasn’t around when it happened... I’ve always found em but not that large, . Florida is the lighting capital of the world..thanks for lookin 54

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              If I go while I’m out in the woods by a bolt like that not feeling a thing at least it would be quick and while I was having fun. To me that would be perfect

Awesome Fulgurite finds you have there Hal.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you muchly, didn’t know it had a name,Lol.

When I was in my teens bunch of us guys were sitting on a open porch in rocking chairs when a bolt hit right in front of us. Knocked us all backwards while still in the chairs. Now that was funny Dan
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool story..had a similar one, not to steal your thunder but my lightning story ended with splinters in my body and a trip to the hospital an hearing loss for a week

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Nobody got hurt on the porch
          Working...
          X