Need help identifying rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying rock

Found this while creek walking south Louisville and cut open today and not familiar with this type? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

I hope you're not serious and if you are how could you not know what that is? If you are then my apologies. Asphalt, that stuff you drive or walk on nearly every day.
    Take some time to learn what is, Arrowheads.com is a great place for that as well as all that is available on the internet.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Adam55
      Adam55 commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a serious question, I ask because it was dug at least 2 feet in a creek and has quartz on the outside.

In Florida we call it a conglomerate
    Floridaboy.

Comment

In Texas we call it pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
        In Florida we call it a conglomerate
        Thanks after researching that’s why it looks to be

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
          I hope you're not serious and if you are how could you not know what that is? If you are then my apologies. Asphalt, that stuff you drive or walk on nearly every day.
          Take some time to learn what is, Arrowheads.com is a great place for that as well as all that is available on the internet.
          It looks to be conglomerate not asphalt.

Comment

Looks like conglomerate to me too. Bitumen is a naturally occurring asphalt which was utilized by Native Americans as a sealer for pottery and a adhesive for other purposes. Was it found in an area where you found other artifacts? I am assuming the first photo is the cross section from where you cut it.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              ps if you want to know if it is asphalt or bitumen take a match to it. It will stink like road tar if its asphalt.

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
            Looks like conglomerate to me too. Bitumen is a naturally occurring asphalt which was utilized by Native Americans as a sealer for pottery and a adhesive for other purposes. Was it found in an area where you found other artifacts? I am assuming the first photo is the cross section from where you cut it.
            thanks, yes I found this in my honey hole, where I’ve found many arrowheads, geodes and other artifacts

Comment

In CA we had stuff called asphaltum oozing out of various locations. It was used to plug the holes in an abalone shell to make a plate and as an adhesive among other uses. You can see some of it on artifacts in the bodega bay anthology article on here. Black pitch like stuff. An old timer I know had some of it in a small bowl he found and mistook it for an unnecessary mess and cleaned it out. Later an archeologist, seeing what residue was left and hearing what had had been there originally, explained to him the significance of finding a bowl with all that material still in it.

Comment

That's not actually a conglomerate. Geologically, the term refers exclusively to sedimentary rocks where the clasts within the matrix are largely rounded or sub-rounded. When the clasts are mainly angular (which is very much the case here) the rock is a breccia, not a conglomerate. Breccias can be sedimentary, tectonic, landslide/collapse/impact-related or volcanic/igneous in origin.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                X