amethyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amethyst

not the best stuff. there are better peices but buried under other rocks somewhere...more of a cluster type..
    Utah

Again, gosh!

I have box fulla crystals dug up over years. Know lotsa my rocks probly have crystalized interiors, but cannot bring self crack them open!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      lol...i here ya I've done that with geode's i even have a rock saw n can't bring myself to cut some.

We find crystals on one of our logging roads. Some are clear, some white, a lot are purple. Some get as big as a fist. I don't know much about it, but I've been told the purple ones are amethysts. They don't look anything like what you posted, so I'm thinking I've been misled.

I picked this one up the other day after it rained.. gave it to the 5 year old as she thinks they are amazing.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      it look's to be amethyst thats the good stuff you got.mines just clusters little stuff. that's a nice one

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Amethyst!

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      You need pick up all you can! Foresee 5 yr old pockets fulla rocks!

These accumulated years digging:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DB189216-E18D-4A18-A18D-061EF93C58A3.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	591076
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      sweet!!!

• Rio Del Norte
      Rio Del Norte commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful...!

A close friend of mine, the late Sal Avella, of Apple Valley Minerals, discovered a deposit of amethyst crystals on quartz in 1981, at a secret location in southern Rhode Island. The specimens that emerged are regarded as some of the finest amethyst scepters ever found in the Eastern United States….

Click image for larger version  Name:	1FA2CCB4-9464-44B9-BB84-193F1AD1A03B.png Views:	0 Size:	200.4 KB ID:	591258

Click image for larger version

Name:	2335FCDD-B577-4C9F-B455-2581A6EEE866.png
Views:	100
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	591259
    Rhode Island

Comment

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      did he divulge the location to you?

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      No, Sal never divulged the location to me. Had I asked, he would have taken me there, though. I’m just surprised I did not purchase a specimen from him, since I love all things Rhode Island, and this became a famous discovery. The Smithsonian ended up with one of his more spectacular specimens. The RI Gem and Mineral Society collected there on a field trip very recently, so it’s not such a secret these days.

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      cool.

Beautiful stuff
    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
    X