ID:	598862Click image for larger version

Name:	DA2F6674-051B-4D72-9626-4A7267FC3CEC.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	598861Click image for larger version

Name:	F3155F27-5C2E-4C44-8756-E57CB148EB2B.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	598864 Found this today in Northwest Tennessee. It is heavy, non magnetic, and sparkles. The outer shell looks layered. The hole goes deep. Could have come from fill rock on an old roadbed. Click image for larger version

Name:	A3F8BA68-CAC9-47A9-94F1-CE772CA72688.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	598863
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

What takes you to Tennessee? Lots of good artifacts there. No idea on the find
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Fossil?
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
        What takes you to Tennessee? Lots of good artifacts there. No idea on the find
        Building a retirement cabin. Was checking out part of my woods where there was a washed out spot. There are mounds in Henry county. Should be some good places to look locally.

Comment

Don’t know much about em but I thought they solid .
          Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            🦉

Hal is correct: Because of the way a stalagtite is formed it would not have a crystal pocket like that.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

could be iron that got dissolved and concreted..
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Maybe a fulgurite? Sort of reminds me of these rocks I've found that I've tentatively identified as 'hematite' or 'iron oxide' concretions. Although the ones I find are globular on one side and flat on the other, they both have a somewhat similar outer texture. The end view of your specimen seems to have that irony staining coloration, especially in the walls. It looks like the walls might be layered which might suggest gradual sedimentation. It also brings 'sand stone' to mind. Is the reddish material inside the crevice soft? If you brush it with water or pick at it with your finger nail, does it seem soft like chalk or look like water color paint when mixed with water?
              Last edited by Jarl; 11-22-2021, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarl View Post
                Maybe a fulgurite? Sort of reminds me of these rocks I've found that I've tentatively identified as 'hematite' or 'iron oxide' concretions. Although the ones I find are globular on one side and flat on the other, they both have a somewhat similar outer texture. The end view of your specimen seems to have that irony staining coloration, especially in the walls. It looks like the walls might be layered which might suggest gradual sedimentation. It also brings 'sand stone' to mind. Is the reddish material inside the crevice soft? If you brush it with water or pick at it with your finger nail, does it seem soft like chalk or look like water color paint when mixed with water?
                The material inside is like concrete. It is a sandy brown color. There is a deposit of similar stones on the hilside where I found this piece. I'll look them over next time I go to TN.

Comment

Found a few more similar pieces. One has a rounded end, like it was formed by water dripping down like a cave stalactite. Click image for larger version

Name:	EF469F1F-A9C2-4B67-9C9E-20F8665C38A3.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	603028Click image for larger version

Name:	54688CB6-4D26-44A2-B002-46FDA2AEC491.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	603029Click image for larger version

Name:	7530AAB6-8133-4C41-9CF4-ED4E48E59254.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	603030Click image for larger version

Name:	3555F86C-EABF-4A45-8DB3-A03D66CB35F9.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	603031

Comment

Sorry to correct you but Stalactite as you know hang from the ceiling and are mostly hollow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3624.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	603234

On the other side of the cave is the Stalagmite that is formed from water dripping from the ceiling to the floor creating a solid formation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3628.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	603235Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3630.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	603236
                    In my younger days my brother and I did a lot of Spelunking. I picked these two pieces from the floor if of McClora cave, Snyder County. I did not break them off the ceiling or floor. But others did and I simply retrieved them.

Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

it looks to me like a root cast iron stone concretion. I would dismiss stalagtite and stalagmite based on it being found in a washout and not in a cave.
                      Charles yours looks very similar to the one marked number 2 on this page. https://www.thoughtco.com/gallery-of...etions-4122853
                      Last edited by Hoss; 12-02-2021, 06:57 PM.
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                      X