Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 unique finds i cant identify!! Please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 unique finds i cant identify!! Please help!!

Ok, may be an easy one for you geology guys but i have two different rocks/ minerals i can not seem to identify or find anything close to on the interweb. Im not 100% sure on the exact area being many years since i found them and im an artifact guy and not very familiar with material but ill always find interesting rocks, fossils and such things on my outings and always keep unique ones. But im almost positive the irony looking dark one i found in east TX. Cass county and the other i found in SW AR. Little River county i think. First thought on the irony one was some type of iron ore slag i guess youd call it. A co worker said wad definitely a meteorite after seei g
    picture but im pretty sure i can scratch that off and just laugh that one up. After looking at actual meteorites found and their value, i immediately tried to convince him that he needed to buy it from me since he was so sure thats what it was! Lol. The other one after some research i thought may be quartz with calcite inclusions since its rather clear and has a shiny, gloss to a couple spots which are flat like seen on quartz crystals. Then after further reading and then scratching it with my knife and then a taking a dremel to i piece of it, i threw that out bc whatever it is happens to be extremely soft and just comes off like a powder or dust. So then i came up with the possibility that it was, and cant recall the actual name, “soapstone” im prettu sure it was referred to. A very soft soapy feeling stone used by many in carvings. But i dont think i could trace any of that being native to the area but correct me if im wrong. But those are my thoughts, however likely useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

I can and will provide any measurements, pics or other angles, wights or whatever else may be needed to identify them but those are just the pics available at the moment. Thanks again!

Comment

I can't help you Paleo but I do appreciate your finds. Brown one is it very heavy? K
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
        PaleoSnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. No i would not consider it heavy by any means. Nothing abnormal about the weight. If anything id say its on the light side, for its size.

I have a rock very similar to your 'meteor' looking rock. I'll post it. Mine has two fractures, one on each side and the material inside appears to be dendritic limestone. I can scratch it with a knife as it's pretty soft. I'm thinking the 'metallic sheen' on the outside is most likely hematite. I find a lot of hematite and pyrite where I am. Research your search areas for its geological characteristics; prehistoric age, land formations, glacial activity etc. That will help narrow down your specimens in question based on what's known or common in the area. You can do other simple tests, like streak color and hardness and use lists from online or books to help identify a given specimen. Specific gravity can be performed too pretty simply.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
        PaleoSnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it could very well be some type of hematite id suppose. I have several hematite artifacts from this area so definitely a possibility. Thanks. Maybe i can get you more info on it soon

Here are some measurements and weight. It was to much for my small scales, they only go to 1 oz. This scale shows 0:00.8 lb/oz. 🤔. Whatever that amounts to. Hope these help And ive also noticed a piece broken off which i think i did years ago trying to identify and included that picture as well. Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

The dark one looks like a tekite. I wonder if the transparent one is a moldavite tekite? Wiki descriptions

google images https://www.google.com/search?q=tekt...bih=1329&dpr=1
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• PaleoSnow
          PaleoSnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. Interesting reading there! I hope in fact you are right. That’s exactly what i need for my collection is a meteorite or moon rock!

I love it! (And, I love your calipers) Idk what it is, but hematite will streak brown on plain ceramic (like underside of a mug, or underside of toilet tank lid), if that helps.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• PaleoSnow
          PaleoSnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm. Interesting. Idk what it is really! I just cant say. It does have a weird core to it and seems like its wrapped in the “brown stuff” so you could be on to something! Thanks

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
        The dark one looks like a tekite. I wonder if the transparent one is a moldavite tekite? Wiki descriptions

google images https://www.google.com/search?q=tekt...1329&dpr=1
        The green one is not a moldavite. I’m certain of that.

I do not believe the flattened black piece is a tektite. Tektites from the strewn field in Texas are known as bediasites. They are pretty unique. I do not think that round black object is one such example, but it could be researched further. It might be, I’m not experienced enough in bediasites. I have collected meteorites for close to 40 years, but never specialized in tektites. Have a few from Southeast Asia, and a hedgehog moldavite, but no examples from the Texas and Georgia strewn fields. One tektite was found on Martha’s Vineyard, from the very same impact event that resulted in the Texas bediasites.

https://www.meteorite-times.com/Back...e_of_Month.htm
        Rhode Island

Comment

• PaleoSnow
          PaleoSnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you know of where i might could show these, such as a geology forum, to get more advice on? This is the only place ive really shown them. Im fixing to look at the site you mentioned now though. Thanks!
      Working...
      X