Exogenic Fulgurite ——Sure Ain’t No JAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exogenic Fulgurite ——Sure Ain’t No JAR

LinnyMan sent this to me without any annotations or speculation on what it is. When I first looked at it, I thot fulgurite, but all fulgarite I’ve seen has gritty texture and tubular shape. Altho this gritty one side, and porous like scoria, other side smooth bubbles, and kinda like botryoidal chalcedony:

Here’s a picture of “regular” (is there such a thing!?) fulgurite from Texas (https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/m...acts/fulgurite), and one of an “exogenic ” for sale Worthpoint:

The difference is where the minerals melted by lightening cool. Instead of both heating and cooling in the ground, the melting exogenic’s material is thrown into the air where it solidifies again. Hence the name “exogenic” (outside, external). Is that not just one of the coolest/hottest/coolest things ever?!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 02-10-2022, 09:52 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Cecelia, the pics aren't showing.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Here again, pics 1-4 what LinnyMan sent (btw, thank you, LinnyMan!), pic 5 regular Texas fulgurite, pic 6 exogenic fulgurite for sale internet Worthpoint:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE782C4C-E49D-4707-891F-FF3B1D9CE384.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	614196Click image for larger version

Name:	88D0E8DA-E356-496F-81CB-25152E94D4E6.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	614197Click image for larger version

Name:	0AF9B050-EEB8-411A-852C-35E9BA793224.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	614198Click image for larger version

Name:	image_130053.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	614163Click image for larger version

Name:	image_130055.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	614164Click image for larger version

Name:	image_130054.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	614165
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Cecilia; 02-10-2022, 05:20 PM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Probably 30 years ago I went to a party at a friend's house. He was renting the house and he took care of the lawn, etc. When I got there he was all PO'd about this big, glassy rock at the edge of the garage that he had cut his ankle on while edging. Ranting and raving (got party stared early??) he got a sledgehamer and whacked it into pieces. I thought it was a VERY interesting rock and when he asked if I wanted it/any I said of course and loaded most of it into my car. This was a pretty large, flatty/oblongish, apparently melted soil and sand nodule. I've had these pieces all these years and here and there I post pics asking for ID...have not seen any pics of fulgurites that are of this size and character. Many years later that friend moved and his girlfriend was called by the owner of the property asking, "Where is my specimen!?!?" Oh jeez... !! There was some story that this "specimen" has been displayed and/or wanted for display.... I did try to find the owner but he died after selling that property. You can see the outer surface cooled causing a scaly, melted sand surface. Interior is glassy with bubbles. Can see individual sand grains fused together. It is either a fulgurite of sorts or maybe a power system discharge/failure?
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Tom that's cool (now). You know what I would do with it.

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          That is wonderful story! And sounds like those recounted by finders/sellers internet buy-my-rock sites (they lil more believable than the buy-my-rarest-of-rare-artifact sellers who want gazillion $ for JAR)

P.s. never sell it!
          Last edited by Cecilia; 02-10-2022, 05:23 PM.

Way out of my area of knowledge but the piece looks like it has been very hot, melted. How about a piece of dilithium crystal depleated and ejected from an UFO as trash.
        The only fulgurites I have seen are like photo 5. I wonder if the strike material would make differant types. Cool piece in any case. JAF ?
        Last edited by oldrocks2; 02-10-2022, 03:29 PM.
        SE IA

Comment

I grew up in the Indiana dunes along the South shore of Lake Michigan. Lots and lots of sand and lots of hiking. I have always hoped to find one but not yet, maybe this year!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Please do!

Cool pieces!

Here's a few of mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulgurite 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	614897Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulgurite 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	614898Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulgurite 3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	614899Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulgurite 4.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	614900Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulgurite 5.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	614901Click image for larger version

Name:	Fulgurite 6.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	614902
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That fourth one has the beginnings of what are known as 'Lichtenburg figures' where the energy dissipates through what it strikes. Below you can see these patterns from lightning on a golf course, a concrete pavement, and an unfortunate person (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Golf Course.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	614908Click image for larger version  Name:	Lichentenburg Pavement.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.7 KB ID:	614909Click image for larger version  Name:	Lichentenburg Figure.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.3 KB ID:	614910

Different story if whatever is struck is readily meltable. Here's what happens when lightning strikes Asphalt:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Asphalt Struck by Lightning.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	614911
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            My o my o my! Thank you Pain!

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are awesome. Poor guy it's amazing that he survived.

Lightning is a powerful blast. I haven't found any fulgurites. Lightning hit a Balsom Fir on my place. The tree exploded. Ten to fifteen foot long spears flew up into the air and stuck in the ground when they came down. It was a strange scene.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the LinnyMan finds them all the time. Boy, could he show us some stuff! I hope he does. Must be a wild place where he lives!
        Working...
        X