Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Weird Rocks

Hello all,

These are just a few 'weird to me' rocks that I thought I'd share. Nothing spectacular really. I'd like to know what a few of them are, since I've never found any other like them around here. I hope the photos show up in the order I explain here:

First set: Found this in a creek. First 'embedded anomaly' I've found like this. It looks like a bullet shot through a piece of limestone or something. Pretty interesting.

Second set: Found along Cedar River. I can't decide whether this is a fossil or otherwise. If anyone can offer their opinion on how it might have formed this way, go ahead.

Third Set: I found this about the same area as the previous. I've never seen anything like it, except for a much larger specimen which to this day I have no idea why I didn't retrieve it 'then'...I went back to that area so many times to try to find it buried in the sand to no avail. I know about where it is, but it might take some digging...and the weeds have overgrown the area pretty bad too. Anyway, I don't know how this thing was formed. The little nodules all over it are pink and green in the center...the rest of the rock is a purplish color. No clue.

Fourth Set: These I 'think' are hematite concretions? There were piles of dirt from deep down, say six feet down that were left on the side of the road. I frequented the piles and found some interesting things and kept finding these. I always thought they might have been formed by crustaceans burrowing in the submarine silt because they all have an arched tunnel formation to them...it just seemed too 'regular' to be a concretion...but what do I know? If you have any ideas, I'm open to hear. Nonetheless, they're not a hot topic I'm sure. I just like knowing what I find in the end.

All rocks found in East/Central Iowa in land of the Silurian/Devonian age.

Thanks for looking!

​​​​​​​

I’m not a fossilologist but I think those are amazing 👍
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Jarl
      Jarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment. I thought they were interesting for sure.

Nice photos. However, you did not give any clues to the size of these. First set looks to me like a root cast in a piece of limestone. Fourth set I think you nailed iron stone concretions. Hope to see other opinions. You take great photos.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jarl
      Jarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response. Size-wise, the first would fit inside a 3" x 4" rectangle, second about the size of a golf ball at it's thickest, third about the diameter of a half dollar and about 1/2" thick, fourth the largest concretion is maybe 1.5" x 2". I thought about the size comparison after I had posted. I guess I was too lazy to put a reference in. I need one of those scientific scales people use in artifact and fossil photos...I found a source for them but can't remember what i did with the information on them. A ruler works just as well, but I like the scientific instrument better. Thanks for the compliment on the photos by the way...I can take better pictures than this, as it was using my cell phone...but i have much better cameras which could take much clearer, more detailed macros. I hate how convenient cell phones are sometimes. Anyway, I like to keep things simple and undistracting...I just use a sheet of paper and place the objects under a shop light...it takes some positioning to get a pic as clear as these using a cell phone. Digital photography using LED lighting leaves this grid noise or something...especially prevalent when using a light background like this. It helps to change your axis relative to the subject/angle of incidence.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. You get good focus with your methods. I think it would help some of the members here to read that.
Working...
X