Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Weird Rock Installment

Hello all,

This was found next to a creek. I've posted this rock on several other forums with hopes of IDing it to no avail. My only guess is that it's a volcanic spindle or bread crust bomb. If you do a cursory search on those, you'll find some compelling examples that look very much like my rock. The 'Sandatlas' website has some of the best examples I've seen as being similar to mine. I'd just venture to guess that if that is what I have, it's a bit more weathered than the 'Sandatlas' examples. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks for looking! Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	615404Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	615405Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	615406Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	615407Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	615408Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	615409Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	615410
    Last edited by Hoss; 02-17-2022, 11:31 AM.

this looks cherty in the close up. Chert is sedimentary as is limestone . Looks like the limestone has eroded away leaving divots around the chert. I could be wrong I am not a geologist. It is a cool looking rock.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jarl
      Jarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment. I'm no geologist either, so, I'm still undecided at this point.

Cool ..Maybe agate type rock under the cortex???..Crack er open, 🤗..Good photos
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Thanks for the comment. I'm fairly confident that isn't the case, as I've found many other fragments of the same type of rock that show the interior...not agate. I'll try to find all the other examples I have...there's one commonality with all of them, other than the apparent vesicular appearance, they're always tear drop or rounded. I'll upload those when i find them.

Comment

For size reference, which I seem to keep forgetting to add...this rock is a little big larger than a grapefruit.

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          "this rock is a little big" ! I had a ghood laugh when I read that. I sometimes describe things in the same manner. I get it.

• Jarl
          Jarl commented
          Editing a comment
          big = bit ... it was a typo...i blame my stupid laptop and that dumb touch pad mouse contraption.
      Working...
      X