Looks to be gold on rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks to be gold on rock?

This was found in Louisville Ky, I noticed when I found it I noticed the gold sparkle. Not sure if it’s fools gold? Not a expert on rock so any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

In for the answer. Cool rock.

Comment

Me too go pan the area .

Comment

Thanks guys for sure will and will keep you posted! Is it best to smash this in powder form and pan it?

Comment

A few ways here to test if it's real gold

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

I’ll go to the beach with my detector to see if any rings come up . It’s all I got .

Comment

Please give us a size comparison. Gold can turn black . Throw a detector over it and a magnet.

Comment

• Garguy
                Garguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Man I was thinking the same. Could that black just be a crust over more gold?

It passed the magnet test and also the vinegar as the yellow remained the same color. I ordered a small detector👍 Thanks for all your input!!

Comment

you can only hope

Comment

Under what conditions was it found (in a field with other rocks, in a stream with other rocks, etc.)? Louisville, KY, eh? I never heard of gold being found anywhere near that area. The nearest that gold has been found to the Louisville area is in NC and TN in some of the mountainous areas. Gold usually but not always occurs embedded in quartz. My guess is that it is not gold. Break it open and see what the inside looks like and tell us what you see or better yet show us some pics.

Comment

Any chance that is a meteorite with gold? Where is Painshill?

Comment

• south fork
                      south fork commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not much of a chance since they can get to 3000 degrees entering the atmosphere. The gold would vaporize

• painshill
                      painshill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, not a meteorite. There's no reason why pockets of gold (if present) could not survive atmospheric passage in a meteorite despite the temperatures it experiences. But, because of the processes by which meteoritic material as formed, it doesn't contain significant amounts of gold. No meteorites have been found with a level above 10 parts per million and generally its much lower than that.

Based on photos only my vote is no it looks like yellow quartz? on that stone. But I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Looks like petrified poo, maybe a bear ate a gold miner with pockets full of gold and this is what was left. No matter what its cool and I would have to open it up to see what's inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X