Help Identify Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identify Please

Saturday myself and my cousin, fellow member Mtmorris35 got a chance to investigate a creek ive been curious about but never really took the time to explore much. It wasnt the gold mine we were hoping for but did produce a couple artifacts and this one stone which i got pretty excited about, being as ive spent most my life staring at the ground and looking at rocks, i had never in my life seen anything quite like it. A purple, porous (id call
    it) triangle shaped stone that stood out from anything id ever seen. When wet it seems to absorb water quickly and turns a deep purple but as it dries it lightens up in color some. What could this be? Where could it have come from? Natural or some sort of man made material? It was in a small creek in Hempsted County AR. I have found ammonites and other fossils in this general area. Im told the Saratoga Chalk runs through the area and is from the Upper Cretaceous. Not sure if that’s relevant but thought id add the info. Any help, thoughts, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Attached Files

Reminds Me of The Lava Landscaping Rock.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Looks kinda like compressed scoria with minerals in it (if there is such a thing), but if found near creek, probably a conglomerate formed in river bed. Pretty, huh?
      Last edited by Cecilia; 06-03-2022, 05:58 AM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Tumbled brick fragment?
        South Carolina

Comment

I have no idea honestly! We did kind of discuss that it looked kind of like the rocks u line the bottom of a gas grill with. Maybe called Lava Rocks i think 🤷🏻‍♂️ I open to any suggestions or thoughts bc if its up to me im going to call it a Moon Rock! 😂

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, can buy bags of scoria Home Depot put in grill….

Does it float when dry? If so Id say lava rock smoothed by time in creek. If not scoria IMO which aint much

Comment

Sorry Fla HB. I havent been on much lately. Ill check it right now though! Its definitely dry now and much lighter shade of purple!

Comment

Ok so i went ahead and weighed it dry. 3.6 oz. i filled the sink with water and it sunk like a rock and started to fizz like crazy! I weighed it briefly after wetting it and it weighed 4.3 oz. i also took a pic before and of it fizzing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Im sorry. I live completely off the grid and my internet only works intermittently. When i need it, it doesnt. If i dont need it, itll do anything i want. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Try again…
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X