Quartz nodule? But lucky break for specimen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz nodule? But lucky break for specimen

Northern central ky. Found whole. Picked up and dropped broke perfectly in half. Looks like a perfect hole through middle. Guessing it's just quartz nodule?

Reminds me of a stalagmite and the layers are the sequential millenia of mineral deposits but that may just be the shape throwing me off, i dont think those would be hollow with crystal formations. Likely a geode as it does look similar to the type of geods that are common in Central Kentucky...
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 06-21-2022, 06:45 PM.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks like a cave formation to me. I've unfortunately seen lots of broken examples, and they often look like that.

Here's one I found in Pulaski Co KY.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_194836.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	642015Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_194820.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	642016
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I wouldn't say unfortunate. It's a good find to me.although yours is more interesting. I like it broke in half.

Comment

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, not unfortunate you found one. I've just seen a lot of once beautiful caves that were trashed.

Oh. Got ya. Found in creek bed. But not far from an old cave system

Comment

In my teens and twenties my brother and I where spelunkers. We visited many caves in Pa. No doubt in my mind that is from a cave. Once a stalactite is broken from the ceiling it may lay there for thousands of years. That give the time to grow crystal's inside where the water dripped through causing a geode type of inclusion. Talking from experience. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I agree. I can run water through one end to other so I know water deposited minerals over many many years.the closer I look I can see layers over time like a tree stump some thicker some skinny. Water on water off. It's still on my book shelf. It's my keeper.thanks for replays and info.the more I learn the more I know

Comment

Working...
          X