Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olden
    commented on 's reply
    Wow.. talk about putting an exclamation point on a lesson. I'm inclined to think it was cosmic info. upwelling of the grand slam type!

A classic for the watchers of the night sky

• Cecilia
    replied
    I may not live in Indiana, I may not have lotsa points. But I sure do appreciate being here!

Leave a comment:

• CMD
    replied
    Originally posted by Olden View Post
    On a cold clear evening back in 2016, I stepped outside to have a smoke, and was lucky enough to witness this fireball. My view was much better than the one in the video, as there were no surrounding lights on - the fragmenting tail was super cool!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...urday-evening/
    One night, years ago, a cousin and I canoed to the mouth of a river on the Atlantic. Night sky seemed as clear as I have ever seen it in RI. We sat in the sand at the mouth for awhile, admiring the heavens and crystal clear sky. I said to my cousin, “have you ever seen a fireball?” “No”, he said, “what’s a fireball?”. And I tell him it’s a spectacular meteor, and often explodes in a myriad of colors. After awhile, we get back in the canoe and head up river to his place. I’m in the front, he’s in the back. Suddenly, the most spectacular fireball I’ve ever seen, mostly emitting bright green blazes of light, explodes over our heads. I just point up, without taking my eyes off it, but my cousin needed no help. He was seeing it too. The only other true fireball I’ve seen was all white. Amazing coincidence!

Leave a comment:

• Olden
    replied
    On a cold clear evening back in 2016, I stepped outside to have a smoke, and was lucky enough to witness this fireball. My view was much better than the one in the video, as there were no surrounding lights on - the fragmenting tail was super cool!

Leave a comment:

• CMD
    started a topic Indiana Meteorite Fall

Indiana Meteorite Fall

A fireball seen over the Midwest Friday is believed to have dropped meteorites on the ground. Most fireballs will burn out high in the atmosphere, with no surviving fragments reaching the ground. Thought I’d post this for any forum members from Indiana, who may be near the area of central Indiana that’s indicated on the map seen at the link.

https://www.wrtv.com/weather/watch-v...eteor-sighting

”Most fireballs disintegrate in the atmosphere, however a small subset can survive passage and produce meteorites. Delayed booms, are usually a sign that some meteorites may have survived. In this case, there were almost a dozen reports with delayed booms. This is good for meteorites," Hankey said.

Hankey said that, based on the current AMS reports and trajectory, the strewnfield is likely near the areas of Kokomo, Logansport and Peru.
Working...
X